chap 71: max returns

"Did you miss me?" The voice drawls, and she turns back, jumping up in excitement

    "Did you miss me?" The voice drawls, and she turns back, jumping up in excitement. Her eyes are alight with happiness, jumping towards him. Max is grinning at her, a small smile on his lips. And most of all, he's sober. It's been four weeks that Max is gone. 

  She's so fucking happy for him, "Are you done with rehab?" She quickly asks, not allowing herself to get her hopes up as she crosses her fingers, gazing at him.

 "Unfortunately, no" He sighs "But you didn't think I would forget who got me locked up in rehab in the first place, did you?" He curtly adds.

 Her gaze drops. She had been so sure that he wouldn't remember anything. Apparently, she had been wrong. Her mistake. She had put too much faith in the fact that he was constantly high "I'm sorry Max, I was trying to help you"

"You'd be surprised. I'm actually not mad. I should be," He admits, flexing a muscle and leaning against the locker "But Duke deserved that. He's been dealing to me for years now. He was the reason I was so fucked up. God, now that I can think straight, I realize how much I've missed. Everything was a blur to me"

 "I'm glad" She honestly replies, gaze flitting over his features. For the first time in years, his eyes are not glossed over, or red. She can tell he is sober from here.

 Max sighs, "I won't forgive you for Duke. I miss him every single day. But I can understand why. And it needed to be done. And when Duke wasn't looking out for me, you were. Can I ask why?" He murmurs, and she can see the pity in his tone. He feels bad for her.

 For what, she doesn't know.  "Because you were with me, by my side, when I needed you" She responds, unable to meet his gaze.

      "I wish things could go back to normal. And I wish we could be friends," Her heart drops in her chest. She knew this would happen. She figured if he ever had any recollection, he would hate her for it "But I can't trust you anymore. With anything. And you were looking out for me too, yes," He darkly looks at her "But that wasn't what your plan was about. You used me" 

 She breathes, "Max," She protests, but before she can say more, someone slides over to Max, stopping besides him. Isobel, or Isabel, she doesn't remember the girls name. She completely ignores her, as Max piercingly gazes at her.

  He drills a hole into her heart, "You hurt the people you care about. I don't want to be one of those people. You tear apart everyone near you," Max is blunt, straight to the point, and the words pierce her, and they pierce deep. "And I don't want to a part of that. I'm sorry. I'm recovering. Part of recovery is cutting off your toxic past. And sadly, that's what you are"

  Her heart feels like it'll burst open at any moment. The words don't surprise her. But they hurt. Max, who has been by her side, no longer will be. Even he's given up on her. And for some reason, that speaks volumes to her. The person that has been with her through it, thick and thin, has finally given up on her. "You think that's fair? I help you through it all," She whines, her voice getting higher "And you leave when you find convenient?"