chap 59: no more lies.

She doesn't know how to soften the blow

 She doesn't know how to soften the blow. She's used to being straightforward, she has never been sensitive to feelings, or attempted to make things easier to hear. This time, as she recites her story, his hand stiffens, and his eyes harden as he looks at her. She can see the tick in his jaw. She has only ever seen this anger on the Royals. And herself. She likes it. Before, Adonis, the golden boy was far superior to her. His morals, his amazing conscience, meant that he, even if he never said, it considered himself better then her. She knew it. He knew it.

But now, she's not sure she can say that Adonis is superior to her. He seems to have blown a fuse, and now, he has rage. Even if his emotions are calm at most times, and he still deals with things peacefully, apparently, he has another side too.Alexis had broken him apart. Torn out the dark side. And she finds that she likes this side. The other side, as amazing as it was, was not enough for her. And it took her far too long to figure out.

 She removes a piece of hair from her face, "So, that's what happened," She lamely finishes, meeting his gaze. He smiles back, but she can tell easily that it is forced, painted on his lips "But you cannot fight battles for me. This is my problem. I'll deal with it" By the way he nods his head, she knows he is lying. Adonis is a shit liar. And the only time he ever reacts is when people injure, or humiliate people he love. He doesn't even bother defending himself most of the time.

   His entire life seems to revolve around making the world a better place for other people. She admires him so much for it. But she knows she can't leave everything for him. She refuses to be the girl that counts on her husband, her soulmate, for everything. Because she is independent. And she needs to do this. The hunger for vengeance gnaws at her insides every single day, begging her to do it. Get it over with. Finally, finally, destroy them. Completely.

 "I mean it" She repeats, and he nods slightly, but still, she knows she has to watch out. God. As if she needs more problems on her list. She loves Adonis, she does, but she just wishes he would trust her. As if she has given him any reason to. She thinks. She hasn't given him any reason to trust her. And for now, she needs to consider trust a luxury, not something she has been granted. She needs to be careful with what she does next.

If she plays this right, Adonis is hers. Forever.

"So, Adonis," She lightly murmurs, tapping her hands against the car "How is Ophelia?"

He blinks slightly, confused for a few seconds. She narrows her eyes on him. He's hiding something. She knows it. He seems to be thinking carefully for a few seconds before he slowly speaks, keeping his gaze focused on her.

"She's fine. In fact, she told me that she was sorry about everything she said about you. And how, well, she told me about how sick you were after we broke up. You could barely do anything?" He uneasily asks, and she meets his gaze warily. She hates being weak. Even more then that, she hates being portrayed as weak.

But she nods. She needs to be honest. She has nothing to hide from Adonis. Not anymore. He embraces her slightly again, and she shifts into his body, the warmth radiating onto hers. This is the best place on Earth for her.

"I couldn't. I have anxiety. I get attacks," She slowly admits, and she watches him back away from her. If she's right, she sees pity in his gaze. Regret. And something else, as he grips her tighter now, wrapping his arms around her "Axel helps me out with that, in case you were wondering what we have in between us"

"So, just friends?" He cheekily asks, and she nods, and she watches the smile on his face widen. Apparently, that was all he was searching for. The truth. If she had known it was that easy, she would have explained it quicker.

 She flashes him a look, "Yeah, with benefits" She quickly responds, and when he raises an eyebrow, she laughs at his expression. He looks annoyed and amused at the same time as he groans, his hand on her face.

"God, I missed your shit sense of humor," He murmurs, and she backs away, raising an eyebrow. She has an amazing sense of humor "I'm just playing," He confirms as she glares, and she nods her head. Good.  Her eyes grow flat as Adonis presses a kiss to the side of her cheek. Her body stiffens. But then, she relaxes herself. Adonis would never hurt her. She knows that much. 

 She loves this. Just the moment. It relaxes her, and a calm sense of peace comes over her. She has never felt this free in her entire life, this calm. Everything feels like a game, and back and forth, and it never lets up. It keeps going. And she has to keep fighting it. But here, in his arms, she feels at home. "Thank you" She says, and he wraps his arms around her tightly, and she presses her forehead into his muscular chest. She wishes he was all she needed. But she needs her own place in this world. And they had taken that away from her. Now, she'll watch as she takes everything away from them.