chap 28: i'm ready

As soon as she exits her car with Lena by her side, the buzz that surrounds them is impossible to miss. As she has learned, nothing ever stays silent at Lexington Prep. Ever. She knows rumors are already buzzing about her and what exactly happened this summer. Half of them are untrue, but personally, she does not care what people think about her. Other then remaining at the top, not much matters to her. Her goal, her ambitions, that is what matters in the long term. Petty high school students do not matter in the long term.

"Ready?" She slowly asks Lena, adjusting the jacket on her shoulders. The script on the back is clear. Parker Astor in yellow, faded letters. His varsity jacket was personally her favorite, and she refused to give it back to him, no matter how much he asked. She'd made good on her promise to wear it. She's attached to it in ways she can't explain. Lena is warily gazing at her jacket, but she nods, tugging her backpack over her shoulder. She runs a hand through her blonde immaculate hair, staring at Alexis and offering a nod.

  As they both stride into the school, side by side, it is impossible to ignore the stares and whispers about them. Alexis manages to ignore it, and the crowd almost parts to allow them through, into the front gates of Lexington Prep. A gray arch signifies the front entrance of the school, and it is covered with small scratches kids have made throughout the years of their names. The school has not bothered to get it replaced as it is a historical structure for a school that has been in LA since the early 1900's.

  As they slide through it, Alexis stops beside the right side of the pillar, tugging Lena towards her. Lena pauses along with her, arching an eyebrow impatiently. "What?" She snaps as she stares up at the structure lazily, not bothering to meet Alexis's eyes. She can feel Lena's nerves from here. She can't blame her. The first day of school is always nerve wrecking.

 Alexis sighs, running her hand across 6 names she remembers writing in her sophomore year. She remembers writing these stones in the arch, watching Parker laugh as he pulled out a knife, slowly engraving each of the names. He had promised her that night that he would never leave her. That he loved her and he wanted the best for her. She supposes the best is subjective. Maybe he wanted to make her into the best version of herself. 

  She removes her hand from the cool stone, picking a flower from the nearby bush. She passes it to Lena, and Lena shoots her a confused look but accepts, tucking it in her hair. She smiles slightly as her and Lena continue towards the courtyard. As she finally reaches her locker, she wrenches it open quickly, pulling out several things she needs for her classes. Lena, on the other side of the hallway, is opening her own locker. Eric passes them in the hallway seconds later, and she can feel the tension from her position.

 He does not miss her jacket, and as he glances it he scoffs in disbelief. He then turns his gaze towards Lena, his eyes piercing through hers. He fails miserably at unnerving her, and he ends up peering the other direction, avoiding her gaze. Alexis spots Lena move towards him before she can blink, and she quickly steps in front of her. She places her own hand on Lena's wrist, holding her back roughly. "He will get his," She hisses into her ear, shoving her body into the locker "Calm down"

  She does not miss the smug smile that crosses Eric's lips, and he slaps hands with one of his dumb jock friends, muttering something. Keenan, his friend, whistles at Alexis but she ignores him, holding Lena back until Eric is gone. She does not miss the fury in Lena's eyes and the red that risen to her cheeks. She is understandably upset. She knows exactly how she feels, but she knows that it is completely pointless to proceed without a plan. She knows Eric. He is unfazed by being confronted. As Captain of the Football Team, he is used to dealing with girls begging for his attention.

 Alexis's gaze flickers to hers, "I promise you," She says as soon as Lena has stopped fighting, staring straight into her black eyes as Lena brushes a piece of hair out of her vision "We will make him sorry. But stick to the plan. Nothing works without a plan. And a backup"

"Fine" Lena mutters angrily, brushing her off her crop top, adjusting it slightly. It sticks to her ribs, enunciating her pale stomach. She has paired it with black jeans, which cling to her body. Alexis is dressed similarly, but her jeans are a light blue, with several rips. She adjusts her own jeans, moving back towards her own locker and pulling it back open. She pulls out a tube of lip-gloss, glossing her lips slowly, and then shoving it back in as she picks up a book. Lena is muttering something under her breathe, and her cheeks are red. She gives her a few minutes to calm down as Lena paces.

    When Lena has finally calmed down, she closes her locker door, putting the lip gloss inside. "Come on" She slowly urges, grabbing her by the arm as she tugs her towards their first period as the bell rings in the hall. She hates detentions, but at this point, she knows she will be getting one. Lexington Prep is a huge stone building, with several buildings on the side, and it will take several minutes to get to class. As she pulls her by the arm, Lena finally complies, moving with her. Alexis releases her grip as they walk up the stairs, locating the room number easily.

 As soon as they spot the classroom, Lena shoves open the door, sliding in before Alexis. She offers the teacher some excuse as Alexis slides past her, not bothering. She sits in the back row, and Lena follows her, dropping her backpack on the floor besides Alexis. She scans the room, and within seconds, she spots Blair, perched in the front of the classroom besides another girl, Ani, a petite Asian girl. Blair chuckles slightly at something Ani says, and she tucks her gorgeous tanned legs under the seat.

As far as she can see, none of the others are in this class.

 She leans back as the teacher enters, droning on and on for several minutes about CS and the power in the modern world. Everything that leaves her mouth, Alexis already knows. "She talks far too much" Lena mutters as she leans backwards towards Alexis and Alexis slowly nods, pressing her lips together impatiently. It has been less then an hour and she is already bored of this class.

 Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she spots Duke, pressed in the corner of the classroom in a group of stoners. He is several feet away from them. She pulls her phone out of her pocket, typing something to Duke quickly. She spots his phone light up, and he picks it up, glaring at the screen. He nods his head slowly, and he shuffles through his backpack silently, pulling something out. He passes it to his friends, and he points towards me, his glare meeting mine. She slowly passes his friend a $30, sighing as he places two purple devices in my hand.

  I pass Lena one, and she chuckles slightly, tucking it in her pocket. Grape is easily my favorite vape flavor, and the only one I have ever enjoyed. I tuck my own into my backpack, calmly sitting back and staring at the teacher, my eyes glazing over as she drones on and on. I'm done with this.

authors note: take a second to vote! votes boost my story and i love to know my story is getting interaction!!