₣ł₣₮Ɏ-₣łVɆ

Now playing

Now playing..

"One More Light"
-Linkin Park
////
"Should've stayed, were there signs I ignored?"
•-•

I knocked three times, my anxiety getting the better of me.

Seconds go by, those seconds turning into minutes.

I knocked again, this time more frantically and hurried.

I look to man that sat in the car that was parked in the driveway. I motioned for him to come here.

William got out of the car, visibly confused.

"Will, he isn't answering." I said, worried.

"Knock again."

I knocked again, this time much louder than before.

William picked up the potted plant that was next to the door and snatched the key that was underneath it.

"Gotcha." He said and stuck the key into the keyhole before twisting it.

The door opened to reveal an empty and dark house that was once filled with life and joy.

"Henry?" I called out.

"We're so dead if he was just asleep.." William mumbled.

I looked into the living room. It was empty, the only light being the natural sunset that was coming from outside and a small candle that sat on the mantle above the fireplace.

"Henry?" I called out again.

I passed through the living room, the floorboards creaking below my feet.

I walked over to the kitchen opening.

Poking my head in, I wasn't greeted with a loving hi or hello.

I wasn't greeted with a "Hey! Y/n! What made you stop by?" Or a "Nice of you to stop by!"

No.

I felt weak.

Sick to my stomach.

A headache, even.

My legs shook as I fell to my knees.

I didn't realize how heavily and rapid my breathing was.

Maybe it was because of my severe state of denial.

It's not every day that you go through the five stages of grief in only a split second.

The man I trusted with my life.

The man I saw as my father figure.

Henry Emily.

His frail body was spread out on the kitchen tile, a bottle of medication on the floor next to his open hand.

The tears were falling before I could even process what was happening.

William crouched down next to me and embraced me.

I'll never get the thought out of mind.

The thought that I could've saved him.

Memories flashed in my mind.

'Henry hugged me tightly. "You've grown up so fast.. seventeen already! You're practically an adult!"'

'Henry walked over and hugged me tightly. I cried into his shoulder, still in disbelief about my mother no longer being with us. "It's okay." Henry said'

'Henry's head shot up and he looked up at me. Tears welled up in his eyes. "Y/n I'm so fucking sorry!" He hugs me carefully. "None of this would've happened if I would've left the task alone."'

'"Y/n I-.. I'm honestly so sorry." He said. "For what?" I asked. "For not believing you. I thought you might've been losing your mind but now.. now I realize what you meant.."'

'Henry raised his glass. "I would like to make a toast." Henry said. Everyone was silent and listened for Henry's words.
" Y/n has been familiar with our franchise for a long time and she has been through so much because of it. She's had to deal with so many deaths and accidents, yet here she is, still standing strong!"'

Every memory I had with Henry crossed my mind in the flash of a second.

I wasn't responding to anything.

Paramedics had already entered the house, putting Henry on the stretcher.

The next thing I knew, I was sitting in an ambulance alongside William, our fingers intertwined.

I stared at the floor.

Numbing this amount of mental pain is impossible.

The nurses surrounded him, doing whatever they could.

Though I know that he won't make it.

They do too. They all do.

I switched my gaze to the man still on the stretcher.

"I'm so sorry, Henry."

•———•