Chapter 1 ~ Introduction

Y/N's POV
It had started off as just a normal day. I was working in my lab at school experimenting with the molecular properties of a specific sample of ocean water I had taken.
I go to the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology. I graduated high school when I was 13 and came here right after I graduated. I'm now in my sophomore year as a 14 year old.
Everyone in this program has some piece of technology that they work on most of the time. Mine was a little piece that allowed me to breath underwater. It would take water molecules and duplicate the oxygen atom, giving me something to breathe in.
Professor Callaghan had been very impressed with my work and I was accepted into this school.
That feels like forever ago though.
Recently I've been working on being able to use a device to change properties of water and change its attractions. This would allow me to freeze water, evaporate it, melt it, make it acidic, and more. I'm hoping to be able to almost bend it to where I want it to go, just like water bending in Avatar.
I pushed myself away from the desk I was sitting at in my rolly chair and went to my next one. I started tweaking my mouth piece.
I don't want it to malfunction while I'm underwater
I tend to go underwater a lot, just to find my inner peace. It's quiet and there's nobody to mess with me down there.
I don't really do well with a lot of people so I don't tend to work in the main public lab with everyone else. I mostly stay in my personal lab and work by myself. I only have a few people I would consider friends, but most of them aren't that close with me.
My only true friend is Tadashi Hamada. Despite my efforts to show my disinterest in becoming acquainted, he insisted. He would talk to me daily and we started spending time together. His lab is next to mine and he checks in frequently.
He constantly reminds me to eat because he thinks that I'm "not eating enough and am going to starve."
I think he's crazy and my eating habits are perfectly fine.
I don't really like to show my body off much so I wear oversized clothing all the time. Mostly mom jeans and hoodies that are 3 times my size.
Following my physical traits, I'm pretty short, standing at 4'11. I'm the shortest person in the lab and nobody lets me forget it.
I have medium length black hair that is usually halfway tied back. It starts pulled back, but I fidget with it and pull it out of the tie a lot. It's pretty tangled from all my messing with it, but it doesn't bother me.
It does bother Honeylemon though. She seems to try and brush my hair whenever she sees me, despite my protests.
I seriously don't understand how she always has a brush on her.
My knuckles and nail beds tend to be constantly bruised or bleeding from some anxious habits. I chew on them and tend to hit my desk and walls when I'm really stressed. Because of this, I tend to wear sleeves that cover my hands.
I really don't want anyone to worry about me. I can't stand all that extra attention, it would give me too much anxiety, so I try to stay as unnoticeable as possible.
I finished my tweaking my mask and leaned back in my chair. I reached a hand up to my hair and ran it through the tangled mess despite the resistance. I rubbed my eyes, trying to get rub of the grogginess.
I haven't gotten a solid 8 hours of sleep for as long as I can remember. I'm typically pretty restless so I tend to work pretty late. I dorm at the school anyways, but I normally sleep in my lab. I even have a bag of spare clothes for when I spend the night.
I stood up and stretched, yawning to myself as I scratched my arm. I approached my other desk and picked up my phone. I saw I had a missed call from Tadashi.
Tadashi called?
What would he need...
Weird
I turned my phone off.
If he needs me he'll call again.
I put my phone back on my desk and walked back over to my water mask before attaching it to my face. I made my way over to my small water tank and stepped on my step stool to lean over the side.
I submerged my head underwater and opened my eyes.
Everything seemed so quiet. It felt so peaceful underwater. I smiled under my mask before testing it. I took in a short breath to be pleased with the result.
Yes!
I fixed it!
I pulled my face out from the water and slightly celebrated. My now wet hair started soaking my hoodie. I climbed down and grabbed a towel. I wrapped it around my hair, squeezing it before shaking it around my head. I grabbed a fresh hoodie and laid it on my chair.
I pulled my hoodie off, shivering at my exposed skin. I shuddered and quickly pulled my other hoodie on.
I undid the practically destroyed ponytail and let my hair drop. I entangled my hand into my hair before sitting down in my chair again. I rolled over to my desk and continued examining my water sample with my microscope.