Chapter Five: Almost Christmas

For the rest of the week, we spent our time having picnics in the meadow and exploring town. Snow had begun to fall, covering the town in a blanket of white.

"It's almost Christmas" William said, gazing up at the sky. Christmas was the only time things were happy when I was a kid. Relatives came to visit and we had a party. I remember getting presents and being happy, that is until dad died.

"Is it?" I asked.

"Yeah, today is December 20th" He answered. 

"My father died a couple years ago and my mother left me when I was a baby so I don't really have anyone to celebrate with." I told him. William wrapped his arm around me. 

"You will always have me." He whispered. I smiled and cuddled close to him. 

"Do you want to do something fun?" I asked pulling out of the embrace and grabbing his hand. 

"Sure, what were you thinking of doing?" He questioned.

"Why don't we make a snowman?" I said.

"A snowman?" William asked.  

"C'mon, you'lll see" I smirked at him.

"Lead the way" William gestured ahead. I gave him a warm smile and headed towards the meadow. Once we reached it, I crouched down and began scooping up snow into to a big ball. William just watched in curiosity. After I successfully made 3 balls of snow, I stacked them on top of each other. 

"Hmmmm, It's missing something" I crossed my arms. I searched for pebbles on the ground and managed to find few. I placed two of the pebbles on its face for eyes, and then put a few more in a line for its mouth. 

"All done" I grinned, admiring my work.

"So that is a snowman" William breathed, 

"Brrr" I shivered. 

"Here" William took off his coat and draped around me.

"Y..you didn't..h..have to do th..that." I stuttered.

"Talia, you are freezing, let's go back to the house" He said.

William and I quickly walked back to his house. When we approached the home, I noticed a light on.

"Uh oh" William exclaimed.

"What?" I questioned.

"My father is back from Pennsylvania" He looked concerned.

"Crap, he doesn't know I'm here" I said. What should I do?? I thought. William sighed.

"Okay, follow me." He grabbed my arm and pulled me around the back of the house. We crept inside sneaking up the stairs. I headed towards my room.

"Wait" William whispered.

"He can't know that you are here so you have to hide in my room"  He muttered.

"Okay" I replied. 

"William?" I heard a deep voice shout.

"Yes father, I am upstairs" He shouted back.

"Okay I will be up in a minute" The voice rang through the halls.

"Uh oh" I mumbled.

"What should I do??" I asked William.

"Let me think" He said as he ran his hands through his hair nervously. We heard footsteps coming up the stairs. 

"Just follow me" William said as he pushed me into his room. He looked around for a place for me to hide. I quickly surveyed his room. It was large with light blue walls. It had a large armoir in the back corner, and a large bed with tons of pillows on the left side of the room.

"Do you think you can hide under the pillows?" He asked. 

"Um.. I don't know if I" I was cut off.

"William?" I heard the voice again.

"Just go! There is no time!" William pushed me over to the mass of pillows. I climbed under them and peeked through. The door opened and a man walked in. He was tall and thin. His hair was dark brown and tied behind his head in a little ponytail. 

"There you are William. You were not here when I arrived a few hours ago." William's Father said.

"Yes, I was just.. wandering about" William looked around and let out a sigh.

"Alright then" William's father walked over to the bed.

Oh shit

Oh shit I thought.

"Well, at dawn I have to attend a meeting in concern over an outbreak called Yellow Fever." William's father said as he sat down on the bed. I held my breath. 

"Although, I would not be too concerned about the outbreak because it is in Philadelphia. There is no chance of it spreading here in Maine." He went on. William didn't look the least interested and kept glancing back at the mass of pillows separating me from his father.

"Father, I really am tired" William implied.

"I will leave you to it" William's father said as he stood up and started towards the door.

"Good night William" He said. The door closed and William let out a huge sigh.

"Jesus that was insane" I popped up from the pillows. William raised one of his eyebrows, slightly confused. I guess he isn't familiar with modern slang.

"I will be right back." He chuckled leaving the room. I didn't realize how tired I was. As soon as I laid my head down, I fell asleep.