Chapter 20.2: Movie Night, Interrupted

Start from the beginning

Todd watched Wyatt's eyes for any change, any hint of displeasure. He knew (he knew!) that Wyatt would be mad. And they had only recently started talking again. But Wyatt was bound to find out eventually and Todd thought it best that he hear it from Todd himself. 

"And, well, I said yes. I'm starting on Monday."

He gave his friend a tentative smile once he was finished. Wyatt just stood there.

A long moment of silence passed between them.

He reminded himself that it didn't matter what Wyatt said; he was still going to do it. He was going to take the job. Mr. Buckingham was right. He was probably the best choice. Furthermore, he had said that he was going to do it and do it he would. It didn't matter what Wyatt said.

"I know that this would be a great opportunity," Todd continued, "to help some of the less experienced students here and I've been fighting alongside you that I think we could really make a difference." 

"Okay," Wyatt said finally. His voice sounded... surprisingly pleasant. 

"Okay?" Todd repeated, confused.

"Yeah, that's fine with me," Wyatt said, adding a small smile. "I mean... you gotta do what you gotta do right?"

"Right," Todd repeated. He hoped he was able to mask the confusion he felt. "Sooo... you're not mad?"

"No, I think if it's important to you you should do it."

"Really?" Todd asked, relief flooding over him. 

He wasn't mad. Todd had fretted over this moment so much, he felt like a weight was lifted off of his shoulders. Wyatt was honestly like his brother and knowing that Wyatt was okay with this was great. It was fantastic.

Man, things were going to be okay.

*****************

Wyatt hoped against hope that his smile looked convincing. 

He tried to add a little squint to his eyes trying to make them match his smile. Maybe that would help? Smiling was always so instinctual that it was hard to recreate on demand.

Wyatt, to be honest, wasn't thrilled about this news. He was disappointed that Todd was buying into this whole stupid thing. Wyatt recognized that this school was stupid. Todd said he recognized it. So why was he doing this?

Frustration aside, however, Wyatt really just missed his best friend. It had been his fault they had started fighting in the first place. He had snapped Todd at the squad competition. It was stupid and petty. The fact that he was having a movie night with Todd again as if nothing had happened, was sort of a miracle. He wasn't going to screw this up.

"If that's what you think is best," he said, trying to maintain his smile the best he could, "then go for it." 

The look on Todd's face was that of immediate relief. 

"Oh, my gosh, that means a lot to me, man," he said. "I have been worrying about what you would say since he asked me. It means a lot to know that you're behind me."

"Yeah..." Wyatt replied... "What exactly are you going to be doing?" He hoped he could subtly change the subject from personal thoughts on the subject. 

"Well, I'm going to be meeting with the faculty more, coordinating between the squads. Other than, I'm not really sure.

"So you're really okay with this?" Todd asked again. "You're not mad?"

Wyatt felt a little frustrated with how often Todd had to ask. Wyatt wasn't that heartless. He could be tremendously chill. Wyatt was well known for his chillness-