Chapter 32.4: Roth IRAs and You!

"And that's when I changed my name from Captain Justice to my current moniker of Captain Healthcorp."

The man smiled out towards the auditorium of students, squinting into the bright lights of the auditorium.

"So many people," he continued, "seem to think that working as a hero needs to be a struggle. Life in this profession can be difficult. Unfortunately, there isn't always money in anonymously doing good. And in a perfect world, we wouldn't need it; we could do our important work and we would have enough to live a good e . But if the world was perfect, they wouldn't need us. A famous report from five years ago says that ninety percent of heroes have to have a second job on top of the work they do as a hero. It's no secret that only a very lucky few make it to the upper echelons of paid heroes. We can't all be the Raven, right, Crow? But that's why I'm so excited to tell you all about the exciting possibilities posed by becoming a corporate-sponsored hero. You can live your passion and still be able to provide for a family!"

He paused as if waiting for a cheer, but none came.

"I can't believe she said no," Wyatt grumbled in the back of the auditorium. "Who does she think she is?"

"Someone in the school's premier squad who also happens to have a high level degree from a famous university?" Amy whispered.

"Not helping."

"Since I was asked," the speaker continued," by the school to come and talk about how to earn money as a professional superhero, I thought I would talk some more about the great experiences I've had with my friends at Healthcorp."

Behind him, a screen lit up with a PowerPoint slide with a picture of a mother and child running through lawn sprinklers laughing. Above them, the words 'Could A Corporate Sponsorship Be Right For You?' Beneath it was written in what looked like only slightly smaller font was written 'Presented by the Healthcorp Family of Companies.'

"As a hero, you work for the people. So let a company work for you!"

"It could be worse. At least they don't have us sitting on the floor this time."

"How much do you want to bet that that was just because Captain Sellout wanted the screen ever for his slideshow his corporate overlords put together for him to read to us?"

"What's this guy's deal anyway? I don't think I've ever heard of a corporate-sponsored superhero before."

"He used to be Captain Justice: "Truth, Freedom and the American Way". Then he sold out. It makes sense from the company's perspective. It's free PR and they get to have a super on their payroll who happens to particularly focus on protecting their facilities."

"And what's more American than that?" Wyatt heard Amy whisper to herself.

"How is this allowed?!" Sally's voice hissed from the other side of Amy. "This isn't what being a superhero is all about!"

"Shhhhhhhh!" Amy and Wyatt both said at the same time.

Wyatt scanned the auditorium to see if any teachers had heard Sally's outburst. He had gangsters who wanted to kill him. The last thing he needed was to get in trouble for talking during an assembly of all things.

"Who would there be to say that you can't do it?" Wyatt whispered back to Sally and Amy. "It's not like there is a Secretary of Superheroes to stop him. Everything we do is outside the law, remember?"

"In America anyway," Amy cut in. "I hear that in Europe, they cut down on vigilanteism and all the teams are state run."

"But that's not right either!" Sally retorted. "It's-"