Chapter 20: Movie Night

"Don't you have any good movies?" the girl groaned, flipping disgustedly through Amy's movie binder. "These are all super old."

Her strawberry blonde hair fell in perfect ringlets that she made a great show of flipping back over her shoulder, sending her golden locks showering behind her. She was sitting cross-legged on the floor next to Amy. Her long tan legs were folded neatly beneath her, topped by very short denim shorts. 

Wyatt wondered idly if she was cold. He was just wearing jeans and a button-up shirt but it was a little chill for him. But maybe she was somewhere colder than Wyatt was. He was still trying to get used to the temperature here.

"Just because a movie isn't new doesn't mean they're not good," Amy said, trying to hide her frustration. Ever since the group had joined, she'd been on edge. "Sometimes older movies can be the best kind of-"

"Ewww, this one isn't even in color," the girl shrieked, pointing to a DVD. "It's, like, that black and white insta filter. What is this, the '80s?"

Wyatt could see Amy's eyes boiling over with rage. Her hands seemed to have a vice-like grip on her knees through her sweatpants.

"Casablanca," Amy explained slowly, grabbing the large binder out of the girl's hands," won the Oscar for Best Picture. It is a classic. "

"I'm sure we can find a movie we're all happy with," Todd cut in, trying to clear the air. 

The girl flipped her hair over her shoulder again as she turned to face Todd on the couch behind them. Her hair was just long enough that it caught Amy sitting next to her, showering Amy in hair as the tsunami of hair caught her full in the face. 

"That's sooo true, Todd," the girl said contritely, ignoring Amy's distress. "I'm sure among all of these movies that Abby's got-"

"It's actually Amy," Amy explained. "And as I was about to explain before... what was your name again?"

"Lindsey," the girl said, picking lint off her tight red t-shirt.

"Right, Lindsey. As I was saying before Lindsey took my book of DVDs, we should talk about what movie everyone wants to watch. I was thinking something suspenseful. Maybe The Fugitive or The Sixth Sense."

"I don't really know either of those very well," Todd admitted. "But I'm not against something suspenseful. Is it okay if I see the book please?"

"Well, at least someone asks," Amy muttered as she handed the book back to Todd on the couch behind her. 

Wyatt and Mariah each scootched in towards Todd in the center of the couch to get a closer look. Wyatt hadn't really had time to get a look at the movies before everyone else had arrived.  He didn't recognize many of them. He honestly wasn't much of a movie watcher. He was generally much more likely to watch a documentary than a real film, but he did recognize the discs to a few of the 80s movies his parents had. 

"Hey, Gary, we're about to pick the movie," Todd asked, flipping through the pages, "Are you almost done?"

"Almost," came Gary's response. 

He had insisted on moving the seats in the room around before the movie started, though no one else seemed keen on the idea enough to help.

"The key to a good movie night," Gary explained yet again, in between grunts as he pushed another of the slate grey couches towards them," is to make sure you have proper seating. If people can't see... ugh... it can ... ugh ... ruin the whole movie."

He stopped to catch his breath, his hands dropping to his knees as he panted heavily.

"Ryan, can I get a little help here?" he wheezed.