Chapter 27 Part 3: And If We Fall

Wyatt was about to swear as the man crashed down on him, sending Wyatt hurtling straight into the ground.

Luckily, the snow cushioned part of Wyatt's fall, cushioning him from taking the full weight of the man that had just landed on him. Unluckily, the man did not seem content to leave it at that. He quickly shuffled around on top of Wyatt, straddling him. Pinning him down. His skinny, floral tie was askew now, but the man didn't seem to care. He pulled his right arm back and drove a punch into Wyatt's face.

Wyatt grimaced as he felt the man's knuckles make contact with his head. The guy was strong. Not supernaturally strong, but strong for a normal person for sure. Not as strong as Wyatt was with his sword. Not even as strong as Todd with his ring.

Wyatt suddenly wished he had Todd's ring there with him. Where the Flyersword made Wyatt much stronger, the Diver Ring's main combat power was to the wearer much more durable. It gave some strength but it seemed to almost make your body denser in response to incoming blows. A power Wyatt would have definitely appreciated now as he watched the man pull back his other arm and launch it straight into Wyatt's face. The force sent shockwaves through Wyatt's body.

Superpowers or not, it was never comfortable getting punched in the face

Wyatt tried to shake the guy off of him, but the guy managed to stay on top of him.

"Now, now," the jumper said, a smile on his lips, "it is not polite to leave a party early. Especially when you are stealing from the host."

The man's brown eyes gestured to where the bag of white powder Wyatt had taken from the garage lay on the ground next to him.

Truth be told, Wyatt had forgotten about the bag, what with the screaming man jumping on him. The bag had thankfully managed to stay closed despite being dropped to the ground. That was good. The last thing he needed was to lose his evidence.

"Remember, little wing man," the man on top of him said, his arm raised ready for the next punch, "I gave you the option to talk to go to Mr. Valdez peacefully. All this fighting is hard on the suit."

Was he the same guy that had talked to Wyatt inside the building? Wyatt couldn't see how. Seconds after the guy had taken a bag to the face, this guy had come down at Wyatt from the roof. Even if there was a way inside the garage to get the roof, the guy would need superspeed to get up to the roof that fast to catch Wyatt on the way out. How did this guy know what the guy inside had said?

"Well, you can come in quietly or passed out," the guy said, the 'p' in 'passed' popping with emphasis. "But you will be coming in."

He swung his hand up into another punch, but this time Wyatt caught the fist before it make contact.

He'd been sloppy at first. The guy jumping off the roof had caught him by surprise. He'd had enough time to get himself together. He was better than this. He had to be better than this.

He pushed the man's hand off to the side, twisting the man's whole torso as it followed the outstretched arm. The guy tried to push back, but he had no leverage, not when he was already bent double.

Before the guy react, Wyatt pushed up with his hips and rolled to the side, sending the guy on top of him rolling off onto the snow.

Both of them jumped to their feet as fast as they could, but Wyatt was faster. He caught the guy while he was still scrambling to his feet, sending two quick punches to his unprotected face.

The guy almost fell over, losing his footing powdery snow, but Wyatt had a hold of his jacket's lapel.

Holding the guy up, he let off an uppercut to the guy's abdomen, right at the bottom of the ribcage: his solar plexus. A well-placed hit there could knock the wind of someone's lungs, leaving them gasping for breath.