Chapter 26: Breakfast Club

"Do you have an archnemesis?" Amy asked as she emptied another sugar packet into her cereal.

"Why do you always have to make your cereal even sweeter?" Wyatt asked, as the girl ripped open the next packet. "It's already packed with sugar."

Amy took on a solemn expression as she stirred the contents of her plastic bowl.

"I believe the phrase is," she said, lowering her voice, "I'm here for a good time, not a long time."

She tested the bowl with a tentative sip. Somehow she managed to smile. If Wyatt had tasted that much sugar, his blood would probably start crying.

"I'm serious though," she said, swallowing a spoonful of her marshmallow-speckled cereal. "Do you have a nemesis?"

Wyatt was surprised that the milk didn't solidify like jello for all of the sugar she'd put in it.

"You really should have gotten the burritos or something," he said again. "That stuff has, like, exactly zero vitamins."

"The Spicy Chorizo Burrito? No thanks. My digestive tract is a sensitive place. I try to spare it anything with too much spice. Especially anything with 'Spicy' in the title. Now, should I have had this much sugar either? Probably not. But you can only live on toast and vegetables for so long."

She raised her hand in a thumbs-down position.

"Long time," she said, forcing her face into a grimace.

She rotated her hand, bringing her hand to a 'thumbs up'.

"Good time," she said stretching her mouth into a maniacal smile. "Now. Do you have a nemesis?"

"What do you mean?"

"I heard that all real superheroes have a supervillain that has the biggest beef with them. Like the Raven and Grendel. And since you have been a hero forever, I wondered if you had one. Do you think they know who you are? Are there any villains at home going 'Flyerman has foiled my plans for the last time'?"

Wyatt opened his mouth to respond, but as he looked at the girl across the table from him, he was suddenly struck by the sheer beauty of his friend. The morning light was streaming down on them through the skylight, lighting up Amy's hair. It brought out the gold blonde color of her normally light brown hair. Her brown eyes also seemed lighter, their normally rich chocolate color was now the color of a refreshing glass of cold chocolate milk.

Wyatt and Amy were around each other so often that sometimes he took for granted what she looked like. Some of that was purposeful. She had made it very clear that she just wanted to be friends and that's how he tried to think about her. But there were times that he could not ignore how beautiful she really was.

"Well?" she said. "You've fought with villains right?"

Wyatt ran his fingers through his hair as he tried to pull his thoughts back together.

"Well," he said, managing a nod, "it's hard to say. I mean, I have fought a lot of villains."

"But any with a particular beef against you? Have any of them ever made a point to come after you in particular?"

Wyatt picked away at the rock-hard shell of his overcooked breakfast burrito.

"Some," he answered finally. "I think it's natural though. They are usually professional criminals and when someone interferes with their business, they go after them. And that's not just us. They'd do that with anybody who got in the way of their money. And even if for the ones who aren't in it for the money, if we stop their plans they've spent months putting together, they tend to remember us. Hard not to. We wear purposefully bright, memorable colors and have catchy nicknames.