Chapter 29

"I hate him," Wyatt said, his fingers unconsciously forming into fists. "I can't believe he is screwing me over like this."

Wyatt had tossed and turned most of the night stewing about his conversation with Achilles yesterday. Well, except for the hours that he had spent working on his English essay. Having to redo it from scratch hadn't helped his mood either. 

"Why does he think," he said," that he has the right to completely shut me down like this over this stupid test? The test didn't even matter."

"I can't believe he did that to you, man," Amy said, moving a few steps forward in line. Her blonde hair was loose today and a little frizzier than usual. It seemed to match the exhaustion on her face. "Even I got an A and I didn't even open the book outside of class."

The food line stretched out in front of them. Luckily no one around them seemed too interested in what the two of them were talking about. 

Behind him, he heard Mariah yawn. The slim, black-haired girl seemed frustratingly awake as she stood there, despite the yawn, a textbook already clutched in her steady hands. Wyatt wondered if she would be tagging along with them today. Not that Wyatt cared or anything. She was free to go where she wanted. It was just that, normally she was busy hanging out with Sally and William. She had only ever joined him and Amy once before for the movie night.  He reminded himself that she and Amy were roommates. It wasn't that weird for them to join the line at the same time.

Whatever the reason was, she didn't seem interested in explaining. She had not spoken a word to him, or even Amy for that matter, which suited Wyatt just fine.

"Did you ask Achilles if you could retake the test?" Amy asked. 

"I did, but he just said he would think about it. I've been a teenager long enough to know that that probably means just no. I don't why he wouldn't. I could ace that test in my sleep." 

"Did you try telling him about your academic probation? Maybe he could cut you some slack."

"He basically said that if I haven't worked hard, I don't deserve to be able to leave campus. Apparently, being able to see the outside is a privilege, not a right." 

The line had moved far enough that they now that they had reached the food so Wyatt grabbed whatever foods were available today. He barely noticed what was on offer today. His mind was too full of thoughts to be worried about food.

"And!" Wyatt continued as he sat down at their usual table. "And he hadn't even realized that he had lost my test in the first place. I had to walk him through checking my attendance. He didn't even know where the file was. You have one job, man. He wasn't even doing anything when I got there." 

"Why can't you just wait until your grade improves in his class?" Mariah said quietly.

Wyatt almost did a double-take. Mariah rarely spoke to anyone, let alone to him.

"Because," Wyatt explained, "who knows when or if that will ever happen. The dean said that the only grade Achilles had posted was the test. I've been there every day. I've done all of the drills. But none of that is on my grade. What's to say he'll add anything else we do?"

"I, like, cannot even believe that," Amy interjected as she took a bit out of her sandwich "He hasn't put anything we've done on the grade in all of the weeks we've been here? Wow."

"I know right?" Wyatt said. "Why do we even bother to show up if I don't get credit for anything?"

"What's exactly so important," Mariah interjected, "in town that you need to get to?" 

"I..." Wyatt started to say. 

What was he supposed to say? So far no one knew about him helping Lt. Davis, not even Amy. And while he trusted Amy implicitly and probably could trust Mariah, the lieutenant had said not to tell anyone. Would telling kids at an actual superhero school hurt anything? Who could they even tell?