Chapter 12- Part One: a crime!

Wyatt looked out at the city beneath him from his spot at the edge of the building. It was quiet. A few cars were making their way across the city, their headlights illuminating the empty streets beneath him.

Without looking at the time, he'd guess it was around 10. He'd left the school not too long after dinner when the sun had only just begun to set. Judging by the dark sky, it must have been a few hours since then.

That was fine with Wyatt. Every moment he was out there was another he didn't have to see anyone from his squad. The confrontation on the bus still loomed large in his mind.

The scene in the cafeteria had been an awkward one. Dinner had found Wyatt sitting alone at a table. Sitting with his squad did not at all appeal to him. Normally, he'd sit with Todd, but Wyatt's feelings were a bit too raw still about the game today. The only people he knew were at the school were Todd's squad. It had left him without many options.

It wasn't that he was mad at Todd. Not totally.

On the one hand, he was happy for Todd. They were some good maneuvers he'd pulled. The words he'd said to Todd before stung in his memory. He really should apologize.

On the other hand...

Wyat sighed, feeling the heat begin to rise in the chest as he thought about his match. It wasn't fair! Wyatt had done everything he could and yet everyone around him had failed. He'd held the ball for the majority of the game and he hadn't dropped it, then William for like two minutes and drops it. Wyatt had told him to hold onto it. The man had one job!

And Mariah just had to one person with a bullet. But she missed. What's the point of carrying around a gun and saying you're a sniper if you can't even use the gun?

What Wyatt should have done was just fly out of Gary's dark bubble and leg it after Cassie himself. He probably could have caught up with her and taken the ball back. But then, there would be SuperRyan to deal with...

Wyatt sighed.

Maybe there wasn't anything he could have done. Wyatt tried to remind himself it was just a contest for the kids at a school he didn't even want to be at. It didn't work. He still felt angry.

Focusing on the power of his sword, he calmed his mind as he had done countless times before and accessed the subtle power he found there.

Wings sprang from nothing behind him. Jumping off the ledge, he slowly raised his legs behind him till his body was shaped into a nosedive downwards towards the ground. Flapping his wings powerfully, he pushed himself into the air. Higher and higher he flew till he had passed the tops of almost all the few tall buildings the town boasted. Compared to Baltimore, these skyscrapers were pretty small and sparse.

He started his usual rounds around the town he made every night, scouring the city with his eyes for illegal activity. He did at least once or twice every night, so he was pretty used to by now. This new trip around would have to have been the seventh or eighth time that evening.

Wyatt wasn't entirely sure why he bothered; even after all of those swoops around every night for a week, he hadn't found anything. In Atlanta, he'd have stopped twenty crimes in that amount of time.

At first, Wyatt had thought it was the size of the city that was the problem; it must be too small to have to support a bustling underbelly. But Wyatt had done some research and found a study that, as of two years before, the town had reported a higher than average crime rate for a town this size in this area. Which didn't mesh what Wyatt was seeing on the ground.

Er, sky. He corrected himself.

What had changed? Did the police department start some new programs? More neighborhood watch groups?