Chapter Twenty Six

Sorry about the late update! Like I've been saying, life has been busy for me! I sub now (since I can't find a teaching job anywhere) and I pretty much work every day and come home and help my mom cook every night and I see my grandmother and my boyfriend every weekend. So needless to say, I am a VERY busy person (though, I wouldn't really have it any other way!) which means I have little to no time to really write now! This chapter is longer than normal because I wanted to give you guys something for being so patient with me! Honestly, I really don't like this chapter all that much. I pretty much only like the ending because I think it's pretty awesome, but I know I had to give you guys something!

Song Choice: The Reason by Hoobastank

I was left speechless for several moments. Whatever the call had been about, I hadn't expect that at all. All I could do was stare at him for several long moments as I tried to digest what he had just told me.

"What?"                                     

The four-letter word was the only thing I could think to say to that.

"You heard me."

"Isn't the King a little busy to worry about some trial right now?" I asked, I was actually proud that I was able to form a coherent sentence this time. When he didn't give me an answer, I continued, "Isn't he busy trying to take over the world?" I asked, hoping that that question would actually get me an answer.

Tristan shrugged, "Not really," he said, "The world is almost completely ours anyway, so he does have the time to focus on this. Especially when one of the ones on trial disrespected him. The King is not one to tolerate that kind of behavior."

Well, of course not... he was royalty and royalty tended to have this psychotic superiority complex and their heads way too far up their asses.

 Tristan narrowed his eyes, "If I were you Jessica, I would avoid thinking those kinds of thoughts around the King. They'll do nothing but get you into serious trouble."

I opened my mouth to point out that, as far as I knew, he was the only vampire who could read my mind, but he started explaining before I could even get a word out, "My mark protects you and your mind from the average vampire, but the King isn't an average vampire. If he wants to read your mind, he can and it won't take much for him to do so. And if he hears you thinking such bad things about him... well, let's just say, it won't be good for you. I happen to like it when you think bad things about me and other people; it's rather endearing and sometimes entertaining, but I can guarantee that he will not share those same feelings about it."

"Fine, I'll try."

"You will do more than try, Jessica. You will do. There's not much I can do to protect you if you piss off the King."

"Fine, I'll do the best that I can then. Does that sound better?" I asked, "I'm not used to being around people who can read my mind whenever they damn well please so forgive me if I'm not an expert at keeping my thoughts nice about someone." I glared at him, "They're supposed to be private, so I really shouldn't have to worry about someone being about to know them, you know."

"I'm just trying to protect you, Jessica," Tristan explained, "The last thing I want to happen is for you to think something that gets you into trouble"

"Oh, well isn't that sweet... you're worried about me," I spat out.

"I'm worried because I care. I don't want you to die and that will likely be what happens if you think or say the wrong thing around the wrong vampire. That's the last thing I want."