Chapter Eighteen

A/N: Sorry about the late update! I've been busy with school and this chapter gave me MAJOR trouble. I'm not too happy with it, but I think it came out pretty well. I may make some changes to it before I write the next chapter though. I created a playlist for this story; click on the link in the information bar if you want to check it out! :) Once again, thank you to all the comments and votes! I appreciate them! :)

Song Choice: Cowboy Casanova by Carrie Underwood

My hands trailed from my bandaged shoulder to the necklace that still hung around my neck. The same necklace that Noah and Marilyn had chanted the protection spell before placing it around my neck.

I was suddenly struck with an idea.

The pain and the connection had been broken after I put it on, so if I were able to take it off… would that bring back my connection with Tristan?

I didn’t know, but it was definitely worth a shot.

I paused with my hand on the heart shaped pendant. Did I really want to be in contact with him again? Did I really want him in my head again?

Well, considering the fact that I didn’t really trust Annabelle and I was starting to not trust Marilyn, I would take him over them. I would never admit it, but he was right about the lying thing. He had never lied to me from what I could remember. In this situation, I think he’s the only one I could trust at the moment, but I would never admit that to him either. His head was big enough as it was; I didn’t need to go and make it any bigger.

My hands grasped the necklace’s clasp at the back of my head and unclasped it; I caught it in my hands and placed it on the table by the bed.

Well, I didn’t feel any different.

I don’t know what I was expecting, but I had thought that if it had worked I would feel pain as the connection was re-established since it sure as hell hurt when it was broken. Then I realized that it hadn’t even hurt when the connection had been established in the first place because I hadn’t even noticed it was there.

After a few moments, I decided that the only way to discover if it had worked was to try to talk to him and see if he would answer me.

‘Tristan? Are you there?’

There was no answer; my mind stayed eerily silent.

Well, that was a complete bust.

A part of me; a really small, dumb part of me had hoped that I would be able to get into contact with him because I was starting to get the idea that out of everyone, he was the only one that I could trust. An idea that was completely ridiculous. I was royally screwed if the only person I could trust was the crazy vampire who kidnapped, tortured and raped me. There was just not something right about that.  

I lay back on the bed, sighing and a bit pissed. Now what was I supposed to do? I certainly didn’t plan to stay stuck in this house for however long I was supposed to. I did not leave one prison for another one.

My eyes strayed to the large window; bright light was now coming in from it now. I got an idea, but it was so crazy, I wasn’t too sure about it. It was worth at least investigating.

I got out of the bed and made my way over to the window; my footsteps muffled by the carpet of the room. I threw back the curtain and stare out into the backyard. A large backyard full of tress; none of which were conveniently close enough to the window.

Damn it.

A quick glance over of the outside of the window revealed no easy route from the second story bedroom to the ground. I probably at least thirty or so feet off the ground, so there was no way in hell I was going to try to jump. That was just a suicide waiting to happen. I was desperate, not stupid.