“I know,” he replied. “I’ll stay in the room across the hall. You can put him to bed and come with me. I will explain everything.”

                “I, uh, would rather stay in this room. You know to watch Don.”

                He looked hurt for a moment, before masking it and giving me a poker face. “I would never hurt you.”

                I moved to the bed placing Donovan on the bed and tucking him in. I could feel his eyes on me as I moved around. I had to suppress a shiver as I finished tucking Don in, kissing his forehead.  I straightened myself and walked to Vincent, feeling the heat in his eyes. I placed my hand on his cheek, he leaned into my hand, placing his hand over mine and caressed my hand. The gesture was so sweet, I almost forgot what I was trying to say. “I know you wouldn’t hurt me. How I know that is besides me, but I just do, I also know that if I’m in a room alone with you, I won’t be able to hold back and things might happen that I’m not quite ready for.”

                He smiled, giving me the perfect view of his pearly whites. Turning slowly he kissed my open palm and took my hand in his and led me to the love seat that was in the front of the window, which was like everything else in this room, huge. He pulled me down slowly to sit next to him. “What do you want to know?”

                “Everything,” I whispered, giving his hand a light squeeze.

                He sighed, but began speaking, “Like I said, I’m a werewolf.”

                “How?”

                “You can only be born as one. The werewolf gene is dominant, if at least one of the parents is a wolf, the child will be a wolf. If both parents are wolves, the child is stronger. Then there are those that are Alphas, both parents were wolves, and they have other qualities making them the perfect leaders, making them stronger. I am an Alpha, the leader of this pack.”

                “Meaning you’re stronger?”

                “Yes. I am the strongest in the pack. Those born with the Alpha gene are the strongest of us all.”

                “So you’re the big bad wolf,” I giggled.

                He chuckled in response, “Something like that. It’s my job to protect the pack. Their well being is my priority.”

                “Meaning what? Feeding them, and giving them a home in this mansion?”

                “That, and protecting them.”

                “From what?”

                “Rouges.” I looked at him in confusion before he continued. “Rouges are wolves that have chosen to leave their packs or have been banished from them.”

                “So their lone wolves?”

                “They can be. Sometimes rouges ban together and create their own packs. When they join each other, they become more dangerous.”

                “Because they grow in number,” I stated.

                “And they have one thing in common, their hate for packs and their Alphas.”

                “Why? Why are they banned? Why do they choose to leave?”

                He shrugged. “Each case is different. Some just can’t follow the rules enforced in a pack. Some wish they were Alphas, and cannot stand to have someone dictate what they can and cannot do because of someone’s bloodline. I won’t lie to you, some Alphas aren’t the best of men. And though we are not all perfect, we try our best to serve and protect. We are seen as the leaders, but we are only such because the pack allows us to protect them.”