Chapter 15 || While You Were Gone

Start from the beginning

Peter caught my wrist and looked up at me with pleading eyes.

"Be with me." His words slurred as he blinked with his tired eyes.

I cocked my head to the side and stared at him.

"Okay." I said while sliding in next to him and he snuggled into me, resting his head on my chest.

I played with his hair and admired him at how he held onto me so tightly. I kept my hands in his hair as I peered down to his still, peaceful face.

"Peter," I whispered so quietly and he didn't move, his body slowly moving up and down, "I think I love you."
------------------------------
I felt a weight shift on top of me.

"You're bleeding." I heard a familiar voice murmur.

"Hmm?" I hummed and the weight was lifted off me.

I opened my eyes and saw Peter grabbing for a box and taking out some bandages. I groaned as I sat up and saw the bandages sticking out from under my shirt. 

I took off my shirt while Peter took off my bandages. He sharply inhaled as he stared at my stitches.

"You got shot?"

I looked at his puffy eyes from all the crying last night.

"Yeah, unjustly. It was Lewis who was supposed to get shot."

"Did he?" Peter started wrapping the bandages.

"Yeah, in the leg."

"So why'd he shoot you?"

I just sighed and shook my head as a response.

He finished up and ran his hands through my hair, looking at me.

"What happened back there?" He said low.

"I could talk to you about the details or I could go see Grayson for a bit. Check on how he's doing." I pulled my shirt back over my head and stood up.

"Then you'll talk to me?" His eyes were full of curiosity, genuinely wondering what I've been through.

I just smiled and grabbed my phone.

"You'll be okay?" I asked him and he just nodded.

"I'll be back soon okay?" I reassured and left.

I exited the building and I hesitated before taking a step towards Grayson's building again.

I thought about Luke, Lucas and Elijah and changed directions.

After a few blocks I disappeared behind the old fence and ran through the broken cement and fallen buildings. I made it through, dodging the protruding metal and chills ran down my spine.

The place was oddly quiet and I glanced at the top of the building, reminiscing the day Lucas peered down over me, asking me to help wake Elijah and Luke up.

I snapped out of the bittersweet memory and entered the run down building.

I started climbing up the stairs to the top when I heard footsteps coming down.

"Skylar?"

I looked up to see Elijah frozen on the stairs in his work uniform.

"Elijah." I ran up the few stairs and hugged him tight. He softly wrapped his arms around me. "I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault." He said quietly and we let go as he started down the stairs. "Um," he cleared his throat, "I'm late for work. Luke is up there but he's," he paused.