Chapter 24: Brave New World

Ryan wakes up and Damon's gone. She shrugs and she sees Caroline standing in the dark. Ryan hurriedly closes the curtain and looks at her best friend, wide eyed. Caroline nods at Ryan's silent question, she's turning into a vampire.

Ryan grabs a pocket knife from the leather back on her chair and she cuts her wrist and holds it to Caroline.

"Here," Ryan says. "Drink and complete the transition. Just... don't kill me, I have vampire blood in my system."

"Ryan..."

"Caroline!" Ryan stops her. "Just do it. If you don't, you'll die... again."

Caroline takes Ryan's arm and she sniffs the blood, and immediately latches her lips around Ryan's arm - fangs grow and they penetrate Ryan's skin, earning a wince as the veins form around Caroline's eyes. Ryan smiles at her best friend's transformation.

"You want to meet my best friend from Boston, bestie?" Ryan asks.

Caroline pulls away and she wipes her lips. "Yes!"

Ryan grabs her laptop and she Skypes Myra.

"Hey!" Myra squeals. "Oh, who's the hot blonde?"

Caroline giggles. "I'm Caroline, I'm the Mystic Falls best friend."

"I'm the Boston and Canada best friend, Myra."

"Ryan talks about you a lot," Caroline says.

"I saved her life once," Myra says.

"Yeah, by killing a rapist," Ryan rolls her eyes. "Didn't save my virtue."

"Sorry," Myra says. "If I'd have been sooner, I would have."

Caroline and Myra chat a bit while Ryan goes to the bathroom for a late night shower, to wash the blood from her wrist and wash her hair.
<><><><><>

Matt goes to Caroline's room and it's empty. He shakes his head and goes to Ryan's. Caroline and Ryan are video chatting someone, in the dark.

"I knew I'd find you in here," Matt says. "Your mom says you're not eating."

"It's gross," Caroline shrugs.n

"It'd hospital good, it's supposed to be gross," Matt says.

"I to,s you this, Caroline," Ryan jokes and Caroline gives hr a look. "Myra, we gotta go. Got a visitor."

"I want to meet your friend!" Myra demands. "Is he hot, too?"

"Yes," Caroline replies and she pulls Matt onto the screen. "Matt, this is Myra Landburger, she lives in Canada for now. Myra, this is Matt Donovan, my boyfriend."

"You have really pretty eyes," Myra compliments. "Gotta go. Neighbor is here with her dog."

"Good to see you making friends," Matt says and he goes to kiss, but Caroline stops at the sun beaming in on Matt. "She also says you get out tomorrow morning."

"Morning?" Caroline gasps. "I need to get out tonight."

"No, the carnival is going to happen without you, Caroline," Matt says. "I know it's hard for your neurotic control freak personality to process, but Bonnie and Elena have it."
<><><><>