Chapter 9: History Repeating

"Have you even talked to Bonnie?" Elena asks her blonde friend as they walk toward school.

"No, I'm mad at her," Caroline replies. "She needs to make the first move."

"Be the bigger person," Elena coos.

"Impossible in her presence," Caroline replies and she looks at her arm. "Did you or Matt or Stefan ever learn what Ryan S looks like?"

"Nope," Elena replies. "Why are you so pissed at Bonnie anyway?"

"She's a theif, that's why," Caroline says as she stops loom8ng at the fading name on her hand. "I gave her my necklace,nand she refuses to give it back. It's the matter of principle."

"All right. Well, I tried," Elena sighs. "I'm officially out of it."

"Good. Your turn," Caroline says. "Where's Stefan? Have you talked to him?"

"He's avoiding me," Elena replies.

"Why?" Carokine asks.

Elena hesitantly to answer.  "..... it's complicated." She gets saved by the bell. "I'll see you later!" She runs off to get to class.
<><><><>

Alaric looks in his daughter's room with a smile before he leaves for the high school. He goes to his classroom and he writes his name across the board.

"Good morning everyone," he announces and he turns around and he sees a girl identical to his Ryan, but he doesn't stare. "Alaric Saltzman. It's a mouthful, I know. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Saltzman is of German origin. My family emigrated here in 1755 to Texas. I, however, was born and raised in Boston. Now the name Alaric belongs to a very dead great grandfather who I will never be able to thank enough. You'll probably want to pronounce it Alaric, but it'd Alaric, okay? So, you can call me Ric. I'm your new history teacher."

He glances at Elena, and he shakes his head trying to get it out of his head that she looks identical to Ryan.
<><><><><>

Ryan wakes up late and she knows that Alaric is gone, today is his first day working at Mystic Falls High. He was on the phone with the high school in Boston for a while yesterday morning to get them started on transferring Ryan's transcripts to Mystic Falls; Alaric is working on getting Ryan in school.

Ryan walks to the kitchen and her FaceTime on her phone rings. She pulls it out of her sports bra and sees Myra's face. She smiles and presses the green icon before standing the phone up on the counter.

"Hey, baby," Myra greets. "Hey, where's papa Ric?"

"Today is his first day teaching here," Ryan chirps as she grabs the pancake mix and the ingredients, and some eggs, bacon, and sausage links. I'm home alone... I made a couple new friends already."

"That's amazing," Myra says. "I'm in Ontario, Canada... who are your friends."

"Their names are Elena and Stefan, and then there's a Caroline Forbes," Ryan says. "I don't know Stefan or Elena's last names, they didn't tell me. I met a kid named Jeremy, he loved my costume. It was a Halloween thing at the party."