Chapter 2: The Night of the Comet

Dear diary,
This morning is... different. There is a change. I can sense it, feel it for once, I don't regret the day before it begins. Because I know I will see him again. For the first time in a long time, I feel good.

Elena leaves her room after writing in her diary and she leaves her room, bumping smack into Jenna.

"Do I look adult?" Jenna asks. "As in respectfully parental?"

"Depends on where you're going," Elena replies.

"Jeremy's teacher-teacher conference," Jenna replies. "Hair up or down?" She grabs her hair and holds it up.

"Sexy stewardess," Elena says and Jenna lets it down. "Boozy housewife."

"Up it is," Jenna mumbles. "You're feisty today."

"I feel good, which is rare," Elena says. "So I've decided to go with it. Fly free, walk on the sunshine, and all that stuff... where's Jeremy?" She asks when she sees his room empty through his wide open door.

"He left early," Jenna replies. "Something about getting to woodshop early to finish a birdhouse." When Jenna thinks for a moment, she sighs. "There is no wood shop, is there?"

"No."
<><><><>

"Finally," Alaric muses as a nurse enters Ryan's hospital room with discharge papers. "You ready for get out of here, kid?"

"I was ready yesterday," Ryan replies as she sits up slowly, grimacing as she feels the pain come back. "Where do I sign?"

Alaric watches as his pained daughter sign the discharge papers and he signs in someplace laces where Ryan is still only seventeen. The nurse leaves Ryan alone so she can change while she talks to Alaric in the hallway about ways to be sure Ryan is ok at home, and not in as much pain.

Ryan dress and she opens the door. "I'm ready."

"Just wait a moment and I'll be back with your pain medicine prescription," the nurse says.

Ryan only nods and she slowly sits in the chair Alaric was just in.
<><><><>

"Originally discovered nearly five centuries ago, it hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over 145 years," Tanner lectures. "Now, the comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration." He stops at Elena and Stefan's desks. "Are we bothering you, mr. Salvatore? Ms. Gilbert?"

The bell rings and they exit the class room.

"I brought it," Stefan says as he hangs Elena an old book. "Told you."

" 'Wuthering Heights' bu Ellis Bell," Elena reads the cover. "You know, I can't believe she didn't use her real name."

"All the Bronte sisters used pseudonyms," Stefan claims. "It was the time. Female writers weren't very accepted then."

"Where did you get it?" Elena asks.

"Uh, it was passed down," Stefan lies. "Through the family."

"Ah," Elena smiles at the vampire.

"I have lots of books," Stefan says. "Go ahead, keep it."