The Work of Spirit

Start from the beginning

"I will."

Getting out of the truck, Xael waited for him to come over to her side of the vehicle. He took her by the hand and they went up the stairs and inside. Xael noticed that Gary wasn't at the front desk anymore. She pulled Adam up to the desk.

"Where's Gary?"

"He's up on the second floor now."

"Ohhh." Xael took the visitor's badge and thanked the officer and followed Adam to the elevator.

{What's the second floor?}

{Specialized units, like cyber security and stuff}

{ohhh}

They made it to Adam's floor and into the offices. Xael stayed behind Adam as they went through the door.

"Hey Stranger!"

"Hey guys!" They all came over and shook his hand.

"Max!" He missed that voice.

"Hey Xael!"

She moved to give all the guys she was familiar with a hug. The others, she just waved to them.

"I need to talk to you guys for a minute. Can we go someplace private?"

"Sure..." They all knew something was up from the serious look on Adam's face. Max took everyone to an empty office down the hall.

"So I talked to Houser yesterday. Strickland is seriously the Super now?"

"Ohhhh Don't even get me fucking started!" Ted was red with anger.

"Yeah. If you talked to Houser then you know we all turned in our notices. That's why it's so quiet in the office." Max was just as upset as Ted.

"So what are you guys going to do?"

"I need to go back home to Montana for a bit. My folks are moving to a new farm and I said I would help them. " Xael walked over and gave him a hug, surprising him.

"Awww...I'm gonna miss you...you guys are my favorite humans." She gave Ted and James a cute pouty face. Parker was feeling left out.

"What about me!?"

"You're not human, nimrod!" Max flicked him on the head causing Parker to give him a growl, but everyone knew he wasn't serious.

"What are you going to do James?"

"Dude! I'm already done with Strickland and his shit. I think I want to go back to cooking."

"What!?" Now he had gotten Xael's attention.

"Yeah, I used to be a chef back home, I miss that. All I had to do was deal with food."

Adam could see her eyes light up like a child on christmas eve. "Oh boy..."

"You want to work at the diner?"

"Are you serious?!"

"Of course I'm serious. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have asked." Now she was frowning.

"Wow, uhhh. Can I think about it?"

"Sure! Grams retired from the diner so we're down a person. I'll need a cook to help me out with the place now since i'm going to be handling the front."

"Really?"

"Really Really."

"Huh! I was just going to load up my RV and travel places getting cooking gigs where I found them."