10

Neither Ivan nor Blader said anything as they rode, both keeping their eyes out for wolves as the cool morning air blew past them. Fjorsen and Sig kept up a steady canter in the predawn darkness, the horizon just beginning to show the barest hint of the sunrise to come.

The farms fell behind as the city's buildings began to grow on the horizon. There were no wolves to be seen as the horses reached the outskirts of Njordesden and slowed to a trot as they headed down the streets towards the outbound Transriot stop.

Loqé was already there, dressed in a nondescript grey tunic with a black cloak around her shoulders. Another Valkyrie stood next to her, holding the reins of two winged horses, and as the Thrym brothers came closer to the stop, slowing their horses, Blader recognized her as Eda.

Blader halted Fjorsen about ten feet away from the Valkyries and dismounted, Ivan copying him. For a moment, there was silence as Blader handed his brother Fjorsen's reins.

"Good luck," Ivan said quietly. "May the gods have favor on you."

Eda and Loqé, close enough to hear Ivan's farewell, both frowned. Invoking the gods to protect a loved one was seldom used. It was almost as if the gods no longer had the ability to protect mortals anymore, like they had lost the desire to do so. Whether that was true or not, no one really seemed to know.

Blader embraced his brother. "Goodbye, Ivan," he said, drawing back. He pulled his pack down from Fjorsen's saddle, his sword and shield already on his back.

"Goodbye, brother," Ivan said, attempting a smile but the worry in his eyes couldn't be overwritten. Blader simply nodded at him and turned to Loqé.

Her own eyes were firm, although traces of uncertainty lingered therein. Eda squeezed her shoulder reassuringly. "It'll all work out, Loqé. If anyone can survive this, it's Aetlun Thrym's grandson."

The four waited nervously for the Transriot, mostly in silence. It was only as the Transriot appeared down the street that Blader remembered the flower in his pocket.

"Lo – Recruiter," he said, remembering her official title in time. "My sister Freyja told me to give you this."

Blader removed the handkerchief from his pocket and carefully unwrapped the blue flower. Eda cocked her head as he lifted the flower and presented it to Loqé. "She forgot to give it to you yesterday. She wants you to wear it in your hair."

Loqé smiled as she gently took the flower from Blader, examining the blue petals. She glanced to Ivan. "Tell Freyja thank you," she said. "Please."

Ivan nodded. "I will."

As Loqé raised her hand cautiously to her hair, her fingers seeking for a place to place the flower, the Transriot blew into the stop and the sudden gust of wind caught the bloom and whipped it from her hand and into the street.

Loqé looked as if she was about to go after the flower, but the doors of the Transriot opened and Eda motioned to Loqé and Blader. "All right, off you go! To Vigrid and the einherjar. Best of luck, Blader Thrym."

"Keep an eye on him, Recruiter," Ivan called.

"I'll do my best," Loqé promised, and she and Blader grabbed their bags and stepped up into the Transriot, shuffling down the aisle until they found a pair of seats, Loqé taking the one next to the window. Blader tossed their packs into the overhead rack and slung his shield and sword down from his back, setting the weapons at his feet.

Ivan and Eda waved as the Transriot started off. Blader and Loqé both waved, looking out the window as they moved away from the stop. A flash of blue in the dull streets momentarily caught Blader's eye and for a brief moment, he saw Freyja's flower, looking crushed and forlorn, lying in the street.