7

Blader and his father jolted to their feet at Ivan's words. His eyes were wild and fearful as Gunil raced out of the kitchen, Freyja on her heels. "Where's Hilda?" their mother demanded, her eyes wide.

"I don't know," Ivan said, the words tumbling out in a rush. "I started to look for her but then I saw them. And Sig freaked out, so I just raced him up here to get you."

"Gunil, take care of Sig," Karl directed, snatching a wolf-grade stun baton from over the door. "Then stay inside with Freyja. Make sure you're armed. Blader, Ivan, let's go."

Blader grabbed his sword and shield, quickly fastening the shield to his arm as Ivan grabbed the other sword and shield, his face pale but determined. The father and sons raced out the door, Gunil behind them to grab the frightened Sig from where Ivan had dropped his reins. The horse reared slightly, his eyes rolling his fright, flashing the whites of his eyes.

"Take him inside!" Karl bellowed as the rag shepherds flocked to them, Rollo leading them. "Don't risk the barn! Vinna, Ast, Sok, stay. Rollo, Rada, on my heels."

The pack of dogs split, the three guarding Gunil and Sig as she coaxed the horse around to the stock door in the back of the house, built for moments such as these. The other two loped after Blader, Ivan, and Karl as they raced away from the house, calling for Hilda.

"Where could she be?" Karl demanded.

"The stream, perhaps!" Ivan shouted. "We all like to go there to think." Blader nodded in agreement as they all altered their course slightly.

The three sprinted down the hill, Rollo and Rada baring their teeth as they raced along behind them. The shepherds could smell the wolves as well as the fear and worry of their masters.

Blader saw the wolves by the creek bed and felt the blood drain from his face. The huge, hulking creatures made the large rag shepherds at his heels look like puppies. Their dark fur bristled and their malicious eyes gleamed in the light from the setting sun. They were circling a tree, one wolf even placing his paws up against the bark, and in the tree, clutching to a branch, was Hilda.

These wolves were the bane of Midgard, being as intelligent as humans and as vicious as an enemy's sword. They roved over the land in packs, normally only striking at night when they could see and their victims could not. Attacks during daylight were quite uncommon, and Blader couldn't even remember one ever happening in Njordesden.

What are they doing here? Now, of all hours?

"Papa!" Hilda screamed. "Ivan, Blader!" Her voice was filled with terror, and at her scream the wolves howled, their harsh voices a promise of fear.

"Rollo, Rada, attack!" Karl yelled, and the rag shepherds streaked past them and launched themselves at the wolves as the beasts turned to face them. Blader counted eight, a large pack for one attacking while the sun had not yet set. Their lips curled back from their teeth as they snapped at the much smaller Rollo and Rada, the shepherds sinking teeth into their skin, releasing, and attacking from a different angle to avoid the wolves' fangs.

Blader, Ivan, and Karl leapt into the fray, Karl slamming his stun baton into the side of a wolf's head and sending a jolt of electricity shooting into its skull just as Rollo released the wolf's ear from his teeth. Ivan was working together with Rada, striking one side of the wolf while Rada struck the other, keeping it distracted enough to do what damage they could. Blader struck one wolf in the back of the neck with his sword but the wolf turned before he could beat through its thick skin, snarling at him and lunging.

Blader lifted his shield, feeling a shudder move up his arm as the wolf hit the shield, forcing him to step backwards. He struck again with his sword as the wolf recoiled and he moved forward, suddenly seeing where he needed to strike.