The Maestro II

"Mayonnaise... Mayonnaise... Mayonnaise... It's around here somewhere..." 

Sometimes I feel like they move the items around in this store, which is annoying, to say the least. 

To have your customers become accustomed to a certain placement and look of the store, only to completely change it, why? 

Why do they feel like a "Change in scenery" will make the customer happy? 

I just want to come here to get food and ingredients, why the hell would I want to see something new in a supermarket, this isn't some hot tourist spot. 

There's mayonnaise, why did they move it? 

To think they thought the mayonnaise belonged closer to the yogurt rather than butter and cream cheese. It's a spread, not in the slightest equivalent to yogurt. 

I'll need 3... no... 4 jars, I do enjoy egg salad in the morning, it was my brother's favorite too. 

Who doesn't enjoy a good egg salad while watching the morning news with an excellent cup of coffee? 

Next, I'll need some bread, but which kind? 

We do prefer the Kosen style, but the price of that can make one look to the store brand loaves a second time. 

No, I need Kosen, it's only the best topped with fresh egg salad. 

Freshly toasted Kosen bread, not to be placed within a toaster but in the oven, there's a difference, and topped with egg salad. 

The food from Kosen simply outdoes any other, it's the richest in the world after all. 

Of course, you can't forget about the coffee, but now, I'll have to select which brand of Kosen-style bread is best suited for egg salad. 

The one and only, of course, Adornetto's bread is the best brand there is, and it speaks for itself with only two loaves left sitting on the shelf. 

I didn't hesitate to grab them and place them gently in my cart.

"Excuse me, sir?" a voice? 

No, who's talking to me?

"Sir, may I have one of those loaves, you took the last two and my kids love that bread."

Before I spoke to this woman who thought it was kind to interrupt my peaceful shopping.

A warm and welcoming smile was necessary, if she had seen what was truly beneath the floorboards, that would not have been pretty. 

I do know what the reflection looks like, however, it was simply a side effect of the medicine, nothing I can't endure.

"Oh, sure, no problem, ma'am." a gentle approach to this was best for the bread.

"By the way, I love your sweater."

"Oh, thank you. Have a good day, ma'am."

The register was the last stop before I could go home to see my brother again. 

Not everyone enjoys this process of food shopping, but I find it somewhat peaceful, the ringing of the items that is. 

It's a simple melody that one can often get lost in with a basic addition of one or two instruments. 

Beep. Beep. Beep. 

How simple that is, yet it was as alluring as fireworks at a carnival.

"That'll be 9.81, sir." of course she asked for change, how pitiful. 

Who wants change in their pockets, the disgusting sight of it just makes the hairs on my neck stand tall. 

The countless places of filth that change has been, does she really expect me to put that in my pocket? 

Who in their right mind keeps change? 

The amount of bacteria that is carried with that sole piece of silver is enough to kill an entire village. 

I gently handed the kind lady a fresh 10.

"Keep the change." because clearly I don't want it.

"Oh—ok."

Home was a short drive away, and the most fitting music for the sample size distance was, of course, classical. 

It is merely the only genre of music that is fitting for all occasions. 

Even after I arrived home, the music never left my tongue, the hums were quite the sickness indeed. 

Humming is certainly a very joyous act. 

The act, or attempt at, replicating music with the mere echoes of the mouth, I'm surprised it isn't used more than it is, to think, a genre of just replication of music by humming, how wonderful would that be. 

The door, was spotless, the carpet, spotless, and even the knob, of course on the inside, was cleaned from any smudge that might dent its beautiful shine. 

The glass table, was spotless, everything was as it should have been... 

wait, what is that. 

Right when I thought it was the same as it was, or it was how it should have been, there, in the corner of my eye, was some sort of dust buildup that invited itself onto the edge of my nearly spotless sofa. 

Why, why had it let itself into my home, the disgusting sight was worse than the noise of loose change, I had to discard it, or remove it from my sight. 

I couldn't simply touch it right now, one hand was restricted with groceries, and the other, was still free to do whatever it must to remove the disgusting beast from my sight. 

A simple flick was more than enough to push it behind the sofa, away from sight.

"Much better—now, I'll check on brother."

He lived just downstairs, where he waited for something to lift the curse from him, the curse that the gods had bestowed upon him, and me. 

Why have they done this, I don't know, but one isn't supposed to question the actions, rather, a counteraction is appropriate. 

My counteraction is, of course, to find a way to lift this foul course from him, and I'll be able to see him, healthy, again. 

The smell does often invite itself beyond his room, but I've grown used to it by now, after all, he isn't the only one I've met with such an acquired scent. 

Maybe he'll like to hear what happened today, no, surely, he'll love to hear it.

"Brother, I can't wait to tell you about my day."