A Training Simulation / The Student III

We started the simulation first thing in the morning, relieving the anticipation because it was much more important than trivial matters such as hunger and thirst. We needed to finish this trial, we needed to come out victorious no matter the circumstance. If I can't even accomplish something like this, I don't deserve to become an agent. That is my ultimate goal, isn't it? 

Becoming an agent and using that status to make my road much clearer, seems like the most logical proposition for me to accomplish this. But this? This is just the beginning, it seemed like a challenge yesterday, but it shouldn't be so today. 

We've had more than enough time being eaten alive by anxiety, now is the time when nothing should be on our minds but our goals. That will push us to the other side.

"We'll start your training simulation today. I hope you all are prepared." Bob said as he stood tall with a confident face on his shoulders.

Was it confidence that we should accomplish this? Or confidence in our defeat? It was hard to tell. 

He stood there and pushed his hand into the mat behind him as if there were a secret passage beneath that mat. A tubular large machine shot up from the floor, catching all of us by surprise; so much so that it even alarmed Sofia, someone who always has their guard up.

"Your mission will be given to you by JIL."

"JIL?" Paul asked.

"Yes, she is the AI system here that assists agents in training and on missions as well... Just take these earpieces and you'll be able to hear her while you're in the simulation. You'll also be able to hear me as well."

"Wow, they really make sure the youth program is well funded here." My father said, for once complete nonsense didn't exit his mouth.

The earpieces were extremely light as if they weren't there. They looked a lot smaller than the average BlueTooth earpieces that are sold to the public and they were white; but as soon as they touched my hand, they became transparent. It attached to my ear as if it were a magnet. This is some serious tech. 

I should expect no less from the justice agency that I recently discovered. All three of us stepped into the tube that shot from the ground, taking initiative, something we had trouble with yesterday.

"Good luck." Bob said.

Then, without much pause, the doors swiftly closed. The elevator then drastically dropped below the surface. It felt like we were moving faster than a bullet train.

"Why the hell is it going this fast for?!" Paul exclaimed, looking nervous at the unwarranted speed of the elevator.

I hate stuff that moves like this too, but it was better if I kept my vulnerabilities to myself. This reminds me of a theme park.

"Hah! I remember your first time at Galaxyland, you were puking everywhere!"

Thanks for the morale booster dad... It felt just like a roller coaster, an uncontrollable speed that shouldn't be experienced, or should it? 

Maybe that was its purpose, giving the members a boost in adrenaline before their mission of failure. Just as I thought it would never stop, it began to slow down and reverted to an average elevator.

"We're T-Minus 10 seconds from arrival." A crisp, clear voice spoke into my right ear.

It didn't sound like an average AI that comes with the latest smartphone, no, it sounded a bit more intense than that. It sounded human.

"What type of simulation is this anyway?"

"A mission." Sofia replied.

I'm not sure if that was on purpose or not though, her monotone attitude didn't help to give me the answer to that.