Chapter 40- From John b

Song-

Good in goodbye

By; Madison beer

Maddi's pov-

We all piled into the van and headed towards the storage place where they took the boat. JJ drove the van, I sat next to him and everyone else was in the back. They were all talking about the latest surf contest. I zoned out a while back. Staring out the window playing with the locket around my neck.

While watching the trees as we zoomed by I felt a hand on my thigh. I look up to see JJ. He was looking at the road. When he looked back at me his blue eyes poured into my soul. He mouthed You okay? I nodded and zoned back into the conversation. He quickly took his hand off my leg and started talking again.

"No way man, Nags head has way better waves" JJ chuckles while argueing with Topper. It wasn't a actual arguement more like the ones his and Pope had constantly. I smiled to myself seeing them get along.

"Whatever you say" Topper laughs. I smile before turning back to the group.

"okay so heres the plan, i'll talk to the police while you guys sneak into the back. Then we can check out the boat" I say as they all nod in agreement.

"So basically we're breaking and entering" Pope dead pans.

"No -we-no" I try to lie but Pope gives me a knowing look and I cave. "Fine, yes"

"Don't worry Pope we've gotten away with worse" JJ smirks.

"Ready for your first Pogue-style mission Top" Kie asks wiggling her eyebrows.

"Actually he helped Johnny and Sara escape the belltower last year" I tell them. Their eyes go wide.

"Really?" Pope questions.

"Yep, even got taken into custody" Topper nods. I climb back into the backseat even more and pinch Toppers cheeks.

"Aw my little criminal" I say as if i'm talking to a baby. He pushes me off and we all burst into a fit of laughter. Even JJ.

~

We arrived at a big storage unit. It had 3 walls and was filled with boat and car crashes. The group sneaks around back while I go to talk to the police officer. After a lot of persuasion I convinced the officer to let me see it.

"Here it is" The officer leads me to the back of the storage unit where the boat is.

"Do you mind if I have some time alone?" I say letting fake tears fill my eyes. The man looks from the boat to me and sighs.

"Fine, you have 10 minutes" He huffs before walking back to the front. I blink the tears out before going to the back door that's close to the boat. I unlock it and see the group waiting.

"Come on" I whisper. We walk over to the boat. The actual boat was in one piece but all the seating was torn apart. Topper climbs into the boat. He reaches his arm down and helps me then Kie. Pope and JJ look around the outside.

"Theres nothing here" Kie says after a few minutes.

"There has to be something" I say looking under all the seats.

"Maddi let's just-" Topper puts a hand on my shoulder.

"No! no, theres something here. I can feel it" I say standing up. Kie climbs off the boat along with Topper. I hear whispering at the bottom of the boat but I ignore it and keep frantically looking. I move all of the rubble trying to find something. I hear someone else climbing on.

"Maddi-" JJ says softly.

"I know what you're gonna say" I inhale looking up at him "But i'm not going to give up. I know there's something here. I feel it" I plead. His eyes soften as he racks his brain for the right thing to say.

"Hey, I want him to be alive just as much as you do, but don't you think theres even a chance" His voice cracks and tears swell in his eyes. He swallows trying to keep back the tears. I let a couple escape before quickly wiping them off.

As much as I want him to be alive he might not be. I need to exept it. I go to shake my head yes when something catches my eye.

"Wait" I mutter pushing past him and moving some rubble.

"Maddi" JJ pleads.

"No look" I say picking up a piece of metal. It has the numbers 25/77 scratched into them with the letters MBR scratched below.

"What is it?" He asks.

"Maddi Booker Routledge- It's for me" I smile. A smile creeps onto his face. That excitement was short lived when we heard a police guard shout.

"Shoot" He mutters. We run over to the edge where we see Kie, Topper and Pope already running. We hop down and start running. The officer follows close behind. We both laugh as we run away through the building. JJ grabs my hand and leads me to the front. Laughs escape our mouths as the adrenaline hits. I pump my legs harder as we reach outside. We run out of the gate where everyone has the van ready waiting for us. I dive into the van and JJ follows close behind. We all catch our breaths with smiles on our face.

"That was fun" I say in between breaths.

"Hell yeah it was" JJ exclaims high fiving Topper. JJ and I sit across the longer bench and Topper sits behind the passenger seat. Pope and Kie sit in the front together.

"What's that?" Topper asks looking at the piece of metal in my hand. The piece was flat and semi curved around the edges from the wreck. It was about the size of my hands so i'm suprised I even noticed it in all the rubble. I lift the piece up and hand it to him.

"It's from John b" I say. Kie flips her head back to look over Toppers shoulder.

"We found it in the boat" JJ adds. I fiddle with the locket as we drive back to the Chateua. Once we get home JJ, Kie and Pope leave in Kie's car. Top and I go into the kitchen. He pulls out a package of oreos and sits at the kitchen table. After grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge I hop up on counter and dangle my feet.

"So what do you think it means" Topper asks while stuffing another oreo into his mouth.

"I honestly don't know" I sigh taking a sip from my water.

"But i'm gonna find out"

Hope you liked this chapter! Make sure to vote and comment!