Story Mode 103: Bread Crumbs

Dressed in her black robes, Y/n slips out of her room and into the hallway. Rika had told her that this floor is for the elites only which would make it likely to store important information, right?

As she walks down the bright halls, Y/n holds her head high. Although she is obviously in poor shape, in case she encounters someone else violent like MC, she doesn't want to appear to be an easy target. When she turns a corner one of the two believers that are walking together turn to the other and start whispering fervently. It doesn't take being a genius to know that they are taking about Y/n. She exhales and makes a beeline to block their path. "Excuse me, do you know where I can normally find Ri- the Savior?"

The believers are both short in stature and have their hoods up, so it takes Y/n to notice that one of them is in fact a woman and that both her and her male counterpart have their heads shiny and clear of hair. There isn't even a single eyebrow or eyelash. Y/n sucks in her breath at the sight of them— their necks are far too skinny for their nearly bare skulls. They must be surviving on the bare minimum amount of food physically possible. A mix of the cries of a choked foul or mating turtle bubbles out of the man's lips. Seemingly unfazed, the woman beside him hits him with an elbow and they both bow deeply. "I- It would be my honor to be able to aid the believer that my savior so thoughtfully chosen to be her successor."

"Um, thanks. " Y/n mumbles, her bruises burning beneath her bandages. She tries her best not to look at the strange man. His eyes are wide and his pupils are unmoving. "Do you mind leading the way?"

"It would be my pleasure," the woman steps up to the challenge. She links her arm with the man again and takes off towards another one of the hallways with Y/n trailing behind. The man stumbles along and the devout woman can't hold herself up straight with his extra weight jerking her in different directions. Just as the bald woman is nearly knocked to the floor, Y/n can't bear to watch anymore. She clutches the man's arm and wraps it around her neck, supporting about half of his weight as they walk.

"M- my, my, please don't bother yourself!" The believer speaks up.

Y/n ignores her and helps the rest of the way. "Is your friend alright?"

"Ah! Yes Ma'am!" She responds with a smile. She's missing several teeth, but the ones that remain are polished a pearly white. The man had begun smiling when Y/n touched him and clear drool has begun to stream out of his open mouth and down his chin. "Hansel just had his cleansing ceremony yesterday, so he is still adjusting to the new level of the elation that his soul has ascended too." She comes to a stop in front of a door that's guarded by familiar faces. "This is our destination!"

"Wait," Y/n tries. "What's your name?"

"Gretel." The woman looks pleasantly surprised and Y/n tries not to laugh at the outrageously named pair. "I am indebted to you for your aid and will be making my leave. For eternal paradise!"

Y/n slips the man's arms, Hansel's arms, from around her somewhat sore shoulders and bites her tongue. The two guards' glare digs into her. Play along. Holding back her disgust, she smiles. "For... eternal paradise."

The pair bow again, the man falling over more than bowing, and then take their leave. Once they're out of ear shot Y/n turns to the guards. They are the same ones that have guarded her own room several times now. Figuring it's worth the risk, Y/n steps between the two guards and boldly knocks on the doors. To Y/n's surprise, they don't put their hands on her. Instead, the older one with the thick eyebrows announces, "The savior is not in her private quarters at the moment. Please come back at another time."

So they are guarding an empty room. "I am to be here now," Y/n replies without sparing him a glance. If she's to be the next successor, that makes her position higher than him right? She twists the knob— it doesn't open.

"Fellow Believer. I will need you to stop and take a step back from the door," the older guard warns forcefully, his hand snatching Y/n's wrist away when she doesn't comply.

The man holds up her hand and Y/n twists her head, finally meeting his gaze. Her heart beats loudly in her chest and she hopes the man can't feel her rapid pulse. "Would you like me to let the Savior know that you're stopping me from carrying out her orders?" She watches the flicker of conflict in the man's eyes. Without warning she snatches her arm out of his grip and crosses them beneath her chest. "You're supposed to be helping me get in the room, not keeping me out of it."

The guard doesn't move to touch Y/n again, but blocks the door nonetheless. "She would have given you a key or given me word if she planned for a meeting."

"So you think the Savior is required to let you know before she makes plans?" Y/n pressures him without a second thought. "Wait until she hears just how full of yourself you are."

The tension in the hallway grows and the older man falls silent, his thick eyebrows pinching so tightly that it appears to be one instead of two. The weight of Y/n's words marinate and a shaky voice speaks up. It's the second guard, the younger one. "Maybe," he whispers. "Maybe we should just let her in."

A smirk grows on Y/n's face, but the older guard is too shocked to see it. "What are you—"

"This lady!" The younger one interrupts as he stares at his shoes. "This lady is the successor so she is going to be the next Savior, isn't she?"

This silences the older man. Even if they avoid trouble here by letting her in, if they get on her bad side there's no guarantee that Y/n won't try to take revenge on them later. From the wounds on her face and even the way she's threatening them now, it would be surprising if she wasn't planning on getting back at some people. The older guard lets out a deep sigh and pulls the key to the door out of his pocket. "Step back. I'll give you ten minutes."

Y/n can't help but smile. She does as she is asked and the man opens up the room for her. Once it's open she steps inside the bedroom and the guards shut the door behind her. "Wow," she mumbles as she takes in the large room. "This was almost too easy."