Chapter 30

Excuses started floating throughout my mind.

"Did I say boyfriend? I meant he's my friend that's a boy! You know-- ugh forget it." I said, giving up.

I sat down on the couch and aunt Becky was still waiting for an explanation.

I took a big breath and said, "I have a boyfriend... And his name is Lucas Friar."

Aunt Becky's expression didn't change so I continued.

"Aunt Becky I'm 16...I'm more independent now." I said.

Aunt Becky's expression started to change and tears started to form in her eyes.

I tried looking away. I hate seeing adults cry more than anyone else.

"I've been taking care of you since you were 3.... I guess you can say I haven't been the best guardian." Aunt Becky said, sighing.

"You are way better than my mom..." I said, my voice trailing off.

Aunt Becky sighed again. "I've been a little overprotective over you... And I guess you deserve to know now."

My stomach turned into knots. "Know what?"

Aunt Becky turned towards Ava who was drinking the remainder of juice boxes.

"Time for bed Ava."

Ava started to whine. "But mom--"

"Bed. Now." Aunt Becky said sternly.

I raised my eyebrows. I had nothing heard aunt Becky get so stern with her little angel.

Ava nodded rapidly and ran up the stairs.

Aunt Becky turned towards me and slowly spoke, "your mom... There's something about her you should know."

"What?" I said, the knots in my stomach growing bigger.

Aunt Becky looked down at the couch cushions and said, "your mom was an alcoholic... Used to drink in front of you when you were a baby..."

This didn't surprise me, but I slowly nodded.

"And... One night your mom and dad were driving home and.. Your mom was drunk. They crashed and bam... Everything changed."

I leaned back in the chair, no words coming out.

My mom killed my dad....

------
I woke up the next morning, stretching my legs out.

I fell asleep in my clothes and with my photo albums of my mom, dad and I.

I leaned up and flipped through the pages.

I loved the ones the most with my dad and I...

I miss him.

I went downstairs and told aunt Becky I was going to Lucas's.

It sure was nice not to lie about going to Riley's anymore, but aunt Becky was still unsure.

"No funny business." She said.

I groaned. "Aunt Becky!"

She smiled. "I'm kidding. Go."

Since I didn't have my official drivers license yet, I walked over there.

After about a 10 minute walk, I made it there and knocked on their front door.

Kayla answered and had her headphones in.

"Oh hey Maya!" She said, removing her headphones. "It's been awhile."

I nodded. "It sure has."

"Sorry to hear about the car incident. Lucas wouldn't stop talking about it last week." Kayla said.

I hid a smile. Lucas talks about me in front of his parents and older sister.

Makes me feel.. Loved.

"Well I'm better now." I said.

Kayla smiled and left the room, and I went up the stairs.

"Knock knock." I said.

"Who is it?" I heard Lucas's voice.

"Missy." I joked.

I heard Lucas laugh. "Hey bitch go away."

"Hurtful!" I said, doing an impression of Missy's voice.

I heard footsteps and Lucas answered the door.

"Hey." He said.

I pulled him into an immediate hug, all the thoughts from last night coming back.

We stayed in that position and I whispered to him.

"Please don't leave me.. I need you."