27 | pen pals

T Z U Y U

[Three Years Later]

There's been an unopened letter at my desk for about three years now.

"You ever gonna open that?" Areum questioned, throwing herself onto my bed. "Maybe do it before it becomes like an ancient treasure map."

"Maybe get your degree before all the jobs run out." I answered back, and Areum pouted.

"Fine, I'm heading out. Want me to get you anything?" I shook my head in response, and looked back at the almost packed luggage.

There was no need to buy anything because I was going back to Korea.

It's about time I opened this damn letter.

******

The plane ride felt long, and so I decided to kill some time by reading the letter I had left unread for so many years.

And when I noticed the handwriting, I froze.

Dear Tzuyu,

I loved you.

As I write this, I still do.

I know you said you couldn't make it to my wedding but was that really the reason? Or were you trying to ignore me?

She wasn't wrong.

I have no idea when you'll read this letter. I don't even know if you'll ever open it, but in case you do, I'm always here to talk about whatever the heck I wrote at my bachelorette party.

On second thoughts, don't bring this letter up. I'm drinking shots and getting woozier and out of my mind as each second passes.

You won't forget me right?

Yeah, I'm getting married to Euntae tomorrow.

He's a really good man.

But you're always in my heart, so don't forget that.

It's kind of awkward to be writing this while everyone else is partying it up, but Jihyo forced me to write how I felt about you. How do I start to write about a girl who changed me?

From the first time I met you, I fell in love with who you were.

You were so pretty that day in your little (or rather large tbh) brown apron, and hair in a bun.

Remember that day you pushed me into the river? Yeah, I knew I messed up then. But I tried my best to make it up to you, right?

When we went to the hot springs, and you opened up to me, I just felt like there was something between us. And boy was I right.

And when you came to visit me even when I was banned from seeing you and my phone? You heard me saying that day that I love you.

But, I don't like to dwell on the past, so I don't want to write much.

You mean the entire world to me. I wish I could tell you in person how much I love you, but I'll always be waiting for you to come back to me.

All I want to say is I love you.

I'm sorry.

Love from, Your Sana

I didn't sleep on the plane.

I cried.
__________________________________________

S A N A

My life, simply put, has not been the easiest for the past year.

Euntae died about a year ago, due to lung cancer, and so I was a widow in Australia with our three dogs. He was a good man, and I'm forever grateful to him for helping me whenever I needed it.

When we moved to Australia, I understood nothing, but Euntae helped me learn the language and fit in with the environment.

He was the biggest help.

However, it was time to move back to Korea, because I wanted to visit the friends I had left there.

It had been three years since my wedding day, and I had complete ownership over both the Jung company and the Minatozaki corporation. Ever since we signed the marriage contract, the whole business came into me and Euntae's palms.

However, since he died, I was now the owner of the huge companies that had merged.

"Ms Jung," an air stewardess came up to my seat. "Would you like a drink?"

I nodded my head and took a glass from the tray she held, and I smiled back at her. Taking a sip, it tasted like the same alcohol from my bachelorette party.

Memories.

Oh how I despise them.

Needless to say, by the time I had gotten into the car back in Korea, I was wasted. My vision had completely blanked out, and there were few moments where I would open my eyes and see a glimpse of the city I once called home.

"Ms Jung, would you like to take a stop at the gas station? I need to go fill up my engine." I nodded a slurred 'mmhm' and we parked over at the gas station.

I got out of the car, and the smell of diesel sobered me up a little. My head stung and my body felt so weak.

I could hear everything so clearly, and the sound of the city was slightly deafening.

"Tzu, it's filled up now!" I heard a familiar voice say, and I looked to the opposite side of the gas station where a now /slightly/ taller Chaeyoung waved to someone behind me.

I turned around and found myself looking at a much more matured and damn gorgeous Chou Tzuyu.

"Tzu....yu...." My voice trailed off, and Tzuyu stood there in shock.

I got the guts to walk closer to Tzuyu, who didn't even move an inch.

"I-I heard about Euntae." She finally spoke up once we were about two metres apart. "I'm sorry for your loss."

I gulped and looked around awkwardly. "Yeah, it's been a bit tough."

Tzuyu nodded back and looked over at Chaeyoung, who turned around the second I turned to look at her.

"So I'm guessing you're Ms Jung now, right?"

"Yeah. I don't plan on changing it back to Minatozaki because..." My voice trailed off yet again.

"Because of your father." She read my mind exactly. "Figured." She moved her foot to draw invisible circles into the ground, and the silence felt a bit strangling.

"I'd better go." I coughed out, seeing as my chauffeur had gotten back into the car.

"Yeah." She gave a forced smile. "Nice seeing you again Min- Jung. Ms Jung."

"Same goes for me, Miss Chou."

She headed off and left with Chaeyoung, and I looked back at my chauffeur, who shrugged his shoulders.

"I see you met Miss Chou again, huh?"

"Did you plan this?"

He looked at me through the rear view mirror. "What.....? It's not like I saw Miss Son's car parked and Miss Chou waiting for her-"

"Mmhm." I mumbled sardonically. "Of course you didn't."