24 | wrong place, wrong time

S A N A

"Father?" I walked into the house, seeing Euntae's family in our living room.

It was already 10PM when I got home (took me a while after my car broke down on the side of the road), so I figured that this was serious business. The Jung's wouldn't be here this late if it weren't.

Father patted the empty space next to him, and I sat down as gracefully as I could. I shot Euntae a look, and he mouthed a 'I'm sorry'.

"Sana." Mr. Jung cleared his throat. "Mrs Jung and I discussed this, and we even agreed with your father that-"

"That what?" My heart froze.

The engagement would be cancelled?

That'd be a dream-

"You'll be getting married in just over a month's time."

There goes the bomb.

"Now, now, I know it seems a little too fast," Mrs Jung tried to butt in. Yeah, not just a little. "But we figured that you both are of the age to marry. Sana, you are 21, and Euntae, you are 23. It's the perfect timing, seeing as both our families' businesses are thriving."

I gulped and turned to Euntae, who seemed really sad as well.

"Is it possible to speak with you - Euntae - outside for a quick bit?" He nodded at me and we both left the room.

The silence was deafening. It was painful to even try and speak. The bitter cold night filled my lungs and left my tongue with the taste of cigarette smoke.

I tried my best to smile at him. "We can just get it over with, right? I mean, it won't seem like much once we get our own house and have separate lives-"

"I'm in love with Minsoo." Euntae looked up at me, and I couldn't even react. "But I know he won't like me back. He thinks I'm some stuck-up nosy fiancé who is going to be married to his best friend in a month's time."

"Euntae-" I patted his back. "I'm sorry to hear that he thinks of you in that way, but you're not alone." I let out a soft, painful sigh. "I'm in love with this girl, and I messed up - BIG TIME."

"Is it that Chou Tzuyu? She seems real nice."

"She is real nice." My voice broke. "But I went out with one of her best friends and now she won't talk to me."

"Wow, Sana. I-I think you really did mess up." Euntae laughed, and I broke into a little laughter as well.

"Yeah, no shit." I wiped a tear from my eye. "I was mad at her, but I realise now that I had no need to. In fact, she should be the one who's mad at me."

He leaned back and nodded his head, looking at the pitiful cloudy sky above us. "I don't know about you, but I'm going to try and move on. It's what's best for me."

I sat still for a little moment and bathed in whatever this bonding session was. Our marriage would be in a month and I wasn't mentally prepared whatsoever.

In fact, I wish I could have been like Euntae, who had the guts to move on.

I couldn't even think about moving on from Tzuyu, and I needed to make it up to her somehow.

But it was just the wrong time.

"If we do get married," Euntae began, and my ears perked up, "Can we get like, three dogs? And like, move to Australia while we're at it? I don't want to stay here."

I laughed, and both of us broke into small bits of chuckles. "Yeah. I don't wanna stay here either."

"Good for us then." He sat up and held out his hand. "Miss Minatozaki, will you do the pleasure of being my friend-slash-my forced wife-slash-australian buddy?"

I returned the greeting and grinned. "It would be my pleasure, Mr Jung."

Both of us laughed for a bit, before Euntae had to go home, and I got his number while we were at it.

*****

"Mina, pleaseeeeee!" I begged, even going down on my knees to get her to agree. "Just let me go with you to Areum's birthday party!"

"I'm bringing Dahyun and Momo, unnie. It would make me seem like I'm bringing the whole of Japan if I bring you with me." Mina sighed, but finally nodded after some time. "Fine, it's not like Areum wouldn't want you to be there anyways."

I broke into a smile, and hugged Mina as tight as I could.

"Stop it-"

"You know you love me." I grinned, and I knew she couldn't fight it back.

"Yeah, yeah. Well, get ready."

******

As I entered the private party, Tzuyu caught my eye, and I saw immediately that she turned away from me.

"Tzuyu, please, let me talk to you-"

"Why are you here, Sana?" I could hear a tone of anger in her voice. "I don't want you to be here."

"Please hear me out, Tzu," I began, and yet she still wouldn't listen. "I'm getting ma-"

"I don't care, Sana. I really don't. Please leave the party now." I looked down and saw her clenching her fists.

I couldn't even defend myself, and I turned around. "I'm sorry, Tzuyu."

I left that party less than five minutes after I had gotten in, and I knew that it was wrong.

At the door, there were a few pieces of paper to write notes to the birthday girl, and I grabbed a pen to write something down.

Wrong place, wrong time.

But I still love you.