3 | mystery

S A N A

"Anyways, my father thinks we can get married in two weeks time if you agree." The guy smiled. "What do you think?"

I cried in my mind, this guy had a serious superiority complex going on.

"Well," I bit my teeth. "I think that-"

"Sorry, grinch, I'm going to take your flamenco dancer away for a moment." I felt a hand drag me away, saving me from the dead conversation I was having.

"Thank you, Minsoo." I let out a sigh of relief as we reached the corridor. "I was about to die from boredom. I will never get married to him."

"Good." Minsoo grinned, a grin I could easily tell was not just any normal grin.

"You only grin like that when you have a plan. Spill." I leaned closer.

He pulled out a mask, just like the ones everyone else at this dead party had.

"...what?"

"You won't have fun being the sculpture in this museum. You need to be a bird in a flock. Wear this, and rip off the first layer of your dress. My mum sewed on an extra stick on layer, which is a completely different design."

I cocked my eyebrow up.

"Just trust me." He rolled his eyes.

I raised my eyebrow in confusion as I ripped off the layer of the dress, revealing a flora pattern compared to the original pattern of white lace.

"Your mum is so talented." I gasped.

"Where do you think I got it from?" He teased.

I slapped his shoulder.

"Hey, be grateful I'm helping you!" He pouted. I snatched the mask from his hand and put it on.

"Where did you get the idea for this from anyways?" I asked as I added the final touches to my new costume.

"Some girl called None of your Business." He blankly told me.

"Who?"

"She didn't tell me her real name. Anyways, go enjoy your day, birthday girl!" He jokingly punched me as we headed out. "Make sure to keep on a down-low, and don't get caught."

"I'll make sure not to."

*****

I walked past people, no one noticing who I was because of the mask I wore.

It was relieving to be like this, not having to worry about talking to people who pretended to have an interest in me.

I heard the buzz of something going on, and I was only able to hear a little bit.

"....missing... dance music.... control." I heard, and I knew they were talking about me.

Some music started playing and people began walking up to the main floor to enjoy their time while the birthday girl supposedly went missing.

I stood still, as if I were trapped in quicksand.

A feeling of fear fell over me, as I was worried if they would notice me.

I just wanted to enjoy my time, and I couldn't bear to dance with any more brain dead men.

Without a second even passing, I was knocked to the ground as a girl rushed past me.

I looked up as she looked down at me, wearing a red masquerade mask.

"I'm sorry!" She told me as she pulled me up. I brushed off the dust from my dress and smiled.

"It's okay." I looked at her, suddenly trapped in her sparkling brown eyes as she looked at me, worried.

"I'd better get going." She hesitated, about to leave. I turned around and grabbed her wrist, and she opened her mouth in shock. "What?"

I gulped giving this one chance of freedom a shot.

"Would you like to dance?"

She paused for a moment, not answering me.

I let go of her wrist and sighed.

"It's fine, I'll go find someone else-"

"No, I'll dance with you." She smiled as she took my hand. "Let's go."