Chapter Twenty-Nine: Eyes That Hold The Universe

Josh's POV
*edited*

"Josh?" He asked, face angled away from me as we ate red lobster in his car, it was take out since we insisted on being careful during the pandemic

"Yes Callum?"

"Why do you think we never had a bigger friend group? Like it literally has always just been us." His green eyes made contact with mine and I bit my cheek.

"Because we are soulmates." I flipped my imaginable hair, "And nobody is as glamorous as me."

Callum chuckled and shook his head, "but seriously. As kids we went to dances together, birthday parties, school dinners, everything. How come we never added anybody else?"

I thought about this for a second. He wasn't wrong. We really have never left eachothers side.

I thought for a second, "I dunno. Maybe we just can't find other people like eachother." I offered with a lame shrug.

Wow. What a deep moment we had there, that I sooo definitely didn't ruin. Not the sarcasm.

Callum smiled at me softly, a gentle look in his eyes. He abruptly said, "They found my sister."

My eyes widened, "Really? What happened?"

That's when his smiled turned into a frown. "CPS started a case." He swallowed and a silence filled around us.

I placed a hand on his arm and he melted into it. "Hey. Don't stress too much ok?"

He took a deep inhale before grinning. "Yup. You're right I shouldn't stress." He put his keys in his, now repaired, truck and pressed down the gas pedal, making our car jerk.

We had stopped on a dirt road and now his tired screeched as we jerked forward.

I grabbed the 'I'm gonna die' handle, almost knocking my Alfredo over into his floor.

"Christ Callum!" I glared at him as he slowed the car down. "Trying to get us killed?"

He snickered. "I just wanted to see your reaction."

"Trying to see my reaction to almost dying?!" I huffed, glaring out the window as Callum snickered. "Asshole."

"Woah!" He said, "Watch your mouth Joshy Washy. What if your mom found out you spoke like that?" He teased, one hand patting playfully at my inner thigh which instantly made my body sensitive.

I tensed under him but didn't move away. "Then she wouldn't care because I curse in front of her all the time."

Callum scoffed, "You hardly ever cuss at your mom Joshy. You only cuss at me and to yourself." He stated, waving his hand in the air before placing further up on my leg, on my knees.

He wasn't patting it or anything, it was just resting on my knee and if you could hear how fast my heart was beating you'd be wondering if I had a heart condition.

This stupid asshole thinks it's funny to do this shit to me? Albeit he doesn't know that it actually effects me... doesn't matter. Honestly I didn't touch some part of my body was visibly moving due to my pounding heartbeat, I felt like that was enough of proof that he knew he shouldn't be an asshole.