XXXVIII

ー 𝑷𝑨𝑹𝑻 𝑿𝑿𝑿𝑽𝑰𝑰𝑰

ー 𝑷𝑨𝑹𝑻 𝑿𝑿𝑿𝑽𝑰𝑰𝑰

It must've been a dream.

Mattia felt numb and deaf, that's how anxious he was. He couldn't hear most of the words coming from Alina that was sitting right next to him. He couldn't hear the birds happily chirping on the trees surrounding them. He didn't want to tell her, but now that he started, he had to. He had to tell her. It's her right to know.

He held her hand in his, the warmth of her palm brought him back to reality as a shaky breath made its way past his lips, "Luka texted me." he squeezed her small hand, hoping that by some chance she didn't hear him. That by some chance, this was a dream. This would be the first situation, the first moment with Alina that he wished was a dream. But it wasn't.

Oh.

How was she supposed to reply to something she didn't expect?
She expected something else. She expected too much. She wanted too much. Things could never be as simple as she would want them to be. But of course, nothing goes her way. This boy was tearing her apart piece by piece and he didn't even know it.

Luka wasn't supposed to be a part of her new life. This wasn't planned. She didn't see this coming. She felt light headed. As if all air had left her lungs, as the realization came crashing down like a wave  ー are his intentions good or bad? What if he comes for revenge?

Fuck.

She sat still, staring at the boy's slumped forward posture, head tilted down towards his knees.

What the fuck.

"I thought you might wanna know." he whispered, bringing her hand up and pressing his lips to her knuckles and holding it there.

It may not have been the right time but she still felt the last few butterflies in her stomach flutter their wings at his actions, "What did he say?"

"H-he, um, said he wanted to talk to you. To explain." he took a deep breath, closing his eyes, "He got my number from Mariano."

Alina despised Mariano.
Whereas Mattia had said slurs and apologized and had been bashed for it WITH RIGHT. Mariano said both slurs and never apologized. He said the f slur and openly said he's homophobic. He said the nword and said everyone should be able to say it.
And yet no one said anything about him. (based on real events el em ey oh)

Why the fuck does Mariano know Luka?

"How?" she croaked out.
"Apparently, he moved to Canada."

Alina wasn't going to play dumb to Mattia and herself, she already connected the dots before even asking 'how'."

The sun's golden rays graced their chilled cheeks, warming their skin. The silence that followed was quite scary. It seemed so silent even the birds had gone quiet except for their tweet every other minute.