31. I Won't Let Him

Knock knock knock.

Will lifted his head, blinking groggily. He reached for his phone and squinted at it.

12:34.

A.M.

What the...?

Ash was still asleep, snoring softly, his head pillowed on his arm, and Will smiled faintly, then got up. They'd fallen asleep on the couch while watching a movie, and now...

Knock knock knock.

Will groaned a little and dragged himself over to the door, knowing his hair was probably a mess, and pulled open the door.

A man with deep circles beneath his eyes the color of Ash's stood there, looking very drunk and very furious, a glass bottle in his hand filled with what was clearly alcohol.

"You," he snarled. "Where."

Will blinked and narrowed his eyes. "What?"

The man snorted and spit out to the side, swaying precariously on Will's front step. "Ash," the man slurred. "Where's...Ash."

Will stiffened. So this is his dad.

"Not here," he lied smoothly. "Who's Ash?"

The man roared and smashed the bottle on the ground, making Will jump. "DON'T FUCKIN LIE TO ME!" Ash's dad bellowed. "WHERE IS ASH?"

Will's eyes widened. Oh, HELL no.

"Not. Here," he enunciated, reaching forward and grabbing the front of Ash's dad's shirt in his fists, snarling. "He's not going anywhere with you, and get off my property before I call the cops and tell them exactly what you do to him."

Ash's dad blinked groggily, then slumped forward onto Will. Will growled and dropped him, and the other man crumpled to the ground.

"Give, me, my, son," he panted, retching on the ground. "I'm--I'm sorry--"

Will's lip curled in disgust and he turned away, about to shut the door and go call 911, when the man's hand shot out and grabbed his ankle. "No--" he gasped. "You need to--tell him. Tell him--I'm sorry."

Will scoffed and shook his foot, dislodging the drunk man's grip. "You don't get to say sorry. you don't get to hurt him anymore, understand? I won't let you. I won't let you." At that, he spun around, slamming the door behind him.

He stood there, breathing hard, clenching his fists. That was the douchebag Ash had to live with? He could hardly see straight, fury clouding his vision, and turned to go and get a cold glass of water.

Ash stood a few feet away, tears in his eyes. Will went still, and they stared at each other for a moment, and then Ash hiccuped, and the tears started streaming down his face in earnest. Will's shoulders slumped, the fight going out of him, and took a step forward, wrapping his arms around Ash and pulling him closer, kissing the top of his head.

"Shh, it's okay," he murmured. "He won't hurt you. I won't let him. I promise. I won't ever let him hurt you again."

Ash only cried harder, burying his face in Will's shirt, his back shuddering, and Will couldn't help but start to hate the world for taking this bright, beautiful soul and doing all these terrible things to him.

~ ~ ~

"Hey, uh, Will?"

Will looked up, blinking. They were once again on Will's couch, Ash laying on Will's chest as Will scrolled through his Instagram account. Ash glanced up from his own phone, looking faintly surprised. "Tori wants to meet us for milkshakes."

Will arched a brow. "How did she get your number?"

Ash smiled a little. "I may have given it to her. And yours."

Will rolled his eyes, leaning forward and kissing the tip of Ash's nose. "Well, then. What say you? Milkshakes?"

"So long as you don't get vanocolate again," Ash said, glaring at him accusingly.

Will snorted. "I only get vanocolate."

Ash sighed and pushed himself off of Will, sticking his phone in his pocket. "Okay. I'll meet you in the truck."

"Wait," Will said, and Ash paused, glancing back to him. Will grabbed Ash's wrists and pulled him down, kissing him quickly and then pulling back and standing like he hadn't done anything. "Okay. Now you're ready. Lemme just go grab my jacket and keys."

Ash blushed and grinned. "Okay."

A few minutes later, Will slid into the truck and glanced over at the passenger seat, a question on his lips that died quickly when he saw the Ash wasn't there. He blinked, drawing his brows together, and got out of the car again. "Ash?" he called, to no answer.

His heart thudded. No. No...

His father had only come by last night. He could have still been outside and just waiting...

"ASH!" he shouted, turning in a full circle. NO NO NO NO--

"ASHER!" he bellowed, cupping his hands around his mouth as the memory came into his mind, unbidden.

Screeching tires.

Shattering glass.

Riley's scream--the way the blood trickled from his mouth as his head lolled to the side, his eyes going sightless--

"Will?"

Will whipped around, breathing hard, his eyes wide and terrified. Ash stood a few feet away, looking concerned and slightly scared. 

"Are you--"

Without a word, Will stepped forward and grabbed Ash roughly, yanking him against himself in a tight embrace.

"I was just in the bathroom," Ash squeaked. "Are you okay?"

"I thought your dad had taken you," Will said, his voice hoarse. "Don't ever do that again, okay?"

"Okay," Ash mumbled, relaxing into the embrace. "Okay..."

Will heaved a huge sigh, holding onto Ash for a few more moments before letting him go and stepping back, flushing slightly.

"Let's go get milkshakes."

- - - - - - - -

Hm. Yes, I know this update is SUPER early, but...S U R P R I S E !!!!

Hah. My motivation is kinda dead. Was this chapter okay?

Vote, comment, and follow for announcements on the book and updates and such! You guys are amazing.

Q: Favorite genre of song?

A: Mellow pop. Specifically Anson Seabra.