27. Will's Rock

Ash didn't know what to do. He didn't know what to say to Will, who clearly didn't know what to say either. 

"I'm sorry for not telling you," he finally blurted, and Will looked to him, blinking a little. "I just—I never tell anyone. Ever. You know?"

Understanding flashed through Will's eyes, and he nodded, looking down. "And I'm sorry that he does that to you. It's terrible."

Ash shrugged a shoulder and looked away, fidgeting nervously. He felt as if the air was too hot, too muggy, and he needed to get out of here or he wouldn't be able to breathe.

He stood abruptly. "Can we--go for a walk?" he gasped. Will blinked, then stood, nodding a little.

They were both awkward around each other, and Ash could see why. He'd left Will with nothing more than a broken heart and a lie that he'd never liked him at all. They didn't touch as they walked outside, the rain gone now, neither did they say anything as Will walked down a steep set of stairs down to where the tide was far out. They kept walking, Will leading the way, and Will stopped at an enormous rock that would be halfway submerged when the tide came in. He climbed on top of it and extended his hand to help Ash up, who took it hesitantly and used it to haul himself up next to Will.

"I like coming here," Will said slowly, "when I can't think. There's something about it...I just sit here for hours, sometimes until the tide goes in an I'm stuck until it goes out again.

Ash didn't respond, breathing in the salty sea air and looking out over the ocean. Will sat down, his hand still in Ash's, and Ash sat with him, stretching his legs out.

After several more minutes of tense silence, Will spoke. "Say something, Ash," he pleaded. "You've never been this silent before."

Ash didn't reply for a moment, and then said slowly, haltingly, "Why--aren't you...more... surprised?"

Will angled his head. "More...surprised?"

Ash slowly looked to Will, biting his lip. "I...I never...you act like you're familiar with...that. With...what happens to me at home."

Will's expression softened considerably. "I am familiar with it, Ash," he murmured. "I tried to stay out of mine and my dad's apartment as much as I could for that same reason."

Ash blinked, his eyes widening a little, and then looked away. "O-oh."

Will nodded, angling his head again, looking out over the water like Ash.

"I missed you," Will murmured. 

Ash looked down. "But...what about Tristan?"

Will looked to Ash, blinking. "It was his idea, actually," he said. "He wanted me to pretend to be his boyfriend so that I could either get over you faster, or...something else." He shrugged a little, looking away again. "None of it was real. I promise."

Ash let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank God," he breathed. "I was so worried that you actually liked him."

Will snorted a little. "Pfft. As if. The guy's a jackass, and I'm not really sure I believe his story about 'being sorry.' Like, how does someone change that quickly, unless they want something?"

Ash nodded, knocking his feet together in front of him. He glanced over at Will and shot him a grin. "Hah. I never expected this much drama in only a month."

Will snorted. "I never expected this much drama in my entire life."

Ash grinned and leaned against Will, and they sat there on Will's rock until the tide came in and the sun went down.

- - - - - - - -

Hiya! Sorry for the short chapter. Writer's block again.

I need ideas for the next chapter!!! I'm thinking Will/Riley? What do you guys think?

Thank you guys sooooooo much for 5K reads!!! Ah!!! I never expected my book to be this popular haha :)

I'll try to update every monday.

Vote, comment, and follow! Pls!

Q: Siblings?

A: So many. TOO many. I'm the oldest of five kids still in the house XD