16. Stay the Night

On Saturday, they drove back to River Heights. The entire bus ride, Will kept his fingers laced tightly with Ash's, not caring who saw or who called them a fag.

They were fags.

But at least they were proud to be.

Will sucked on his lip, thinking. Ash noticed and nudged him, smiling when Will looked down at him. "What's on your mind?"

Will shrugged. "Just stuff. I think I might come out to my mom."

Ash's eyes widened. "Really?"

Will nodded, suddenly nervous. "I mean--when I cam out to my dad, he ran over my boyfriend, so I'm hoping he doesn't do that this time..."

Ash's eyes widened. "Is that--what we are? Boyfriends?"

Will tilted his head. "I got you that rabbit, didn't I? Of course we are," he said, laughing softly and kissing Ash's temple, sliding an arm around Ash's shoulders as the bus hit a bumpy patch and Ash nearly toppled into the aisle.

Will laughed and pulled him back in, nuzzling Ash's neck, his lips parting slightly. He dragged his tongue along the column of Ash's throat, and he let out a soft moan that was swallowed up by the chatter of the kids around them.

"Keep it PG," Tori said, leaning over the seat and tapping them on the head. "Come on."

Ash shoved Will's head away, laughing, and Will grinned, sticking his tongue out at her. Ash stared at him, and he blinked. "What?"

"Why do you smile so much now?" he asked, drawing his brows together. "You never used to smile before."

Will's grin faded, and some unfathomable expression flitted across his gaze. "I think you can guess that answer to that particular question."

Ash blinked, then gasped softly. "Oh," he said, his brows lifting. "Me?"

Will groaned, burying his face in his hands. "Don't do that," he said, not looking at him but waving a hand in his direction.

Ash blinked, looking confused. Will sighed, pressing the heels of his hands into his eyes. "Stop it," he mumbled. "Stop looking so damn beautiful."

Ash didn't reply for a minute, and Will glanced at him from between his fingers. Ash was bright red, but he was grinning. he tightened his grip on Will's hand and leaned forward, kissing Will's cheek.

"It's a gift," he whispered in Will's ear. Will closed his eyes, glad for once that he'd moved here, if only for this.

~ ~ ~

"Why don't you come to my house?"

Ash arched his brows at the question, glancing back at Will. He paused, halfway torn between finishing his walk home and climbing into Will's truck. He chewed his lip. "You sure?"

Will nodded. "I...It'll be easier, with my mom, if..."

That's right. He wanted to come out.

"She'll love you," Will said, more talking to himself than Ash. "I'm sure she'll love you. She...No one couldn't love you."

Ash smiled and backtracked, pulling open the passenger side door. "I'll come."

"You wanna stay the night, too?"

Ash bit his lip. "I dunno...my dad, he'll..." Hit me, yell at me, force me to go to my room and then lock the door so I have to stay in there all night without food, sometimes longer...

"Okay," Ash finally said. "Just one night, though."

Will grinned, sliding into the driver's side seat and starting the car. Ash zipped open his backpack and pulled out his stuffed rabbit, holding it to his chest tightly. He didn't look at Will, but he could tell that he was smiling at him.

"What'd you name him?"

Ash glanced up, fingering the rabbit's ear. It was soft beneath his fingertips. "Um. I haven't decided yet."

Will glanced between him and the road. "What about Bit?"

Ash lifted a brow in silent question. Will shrugged one shoulder. "You know. Because rabbit. Ra. Bit. Ra sounds kinda weird, so why not Bit?"

Ash looked down at the stuffed animal and smiled faintly, clutching it tighter. "Bit it is."

~ ~ ~

"Hey, Mom!"

Will's voice echoed through his house, reverberating through the walls and then coming back to him. A dark head of hair popped out from under the sink.

"Will!" she said. "You're home." Her gaze shifted to Ash, behind him. "Oh, and Ash. I remember you from the tour."

Ash managed a weak smile and wave, glancing up at Will. He cleared his throat. "Um, Mom, there's...I need to tell you something."

Jessica stood up, smiling brightly and dusting off her hands. "What's up?"

Will bit his lip. "Uh. This is--you know Ash already, so--" He swallowed, dragging a hand through his hair and clearing his throat. "He's my--" He stopped, looking to Ash for help.

"I'm Will's boyfriend," Ash finished.

Jessica blinked.

It took her a few agonizingly long seconds to pick up what they were putting down, and then her hand flew up to her mouth, her eyes going wide. "Oh," she said softly. "I didn't--oh." Her eyes shone, and she started forward, enveloping Ash in a bone-crushing hug. "That's wonderful."

Will slumped in relief. "So--you're fine with me being..."

Jessica pulled back and smiled brightly at him. "If he makes you happy," she said, "then I'd be fine if he was a drunk addict."

Ash's brows shot up, and Will snorted. "No you wouldn't."

Jessica tilted her head. "Maybe not that far. But yes, I'm fine with it. I support you all the way."

Will breathed out a heavy sigh, and then he felt Ash's hand slide into his. He laced his fingers with his and gave them a quick squeeze, glancing down at the shorter boy. Ash grinned up at him.

"Oh, can he spend the night?" Will asked, looking up. 

Jessica blinked, then nodded. "Keep it censored, though," she said. "I'm going to be trying to sleep tonight."

Ash's cheeks turned red, but Will only sighed in something that almost sounded like disappointment. "Alright."

- - - - - - - - - -

Did you like? Vote and comment pls!

Question for you: Biggest insecurity?

Answer from me: My hair. Ugh.