17. Dob't Worry Abput Me

When Ash pushed open his front door on Sunday morning, his father was standing in the hallway.

Ash hissed in a soft breath, sliding his backpack down and dropping it on the ground next to the door. "H-hey, Dad."

"Where were you."

Ash grimaced. "I--a friend's house. We were watching a movie and I fell asleep. I'm sorry."

His father grunted and advanced slowly. "You should have called to tell me where you were."

Ash bit his lip. "Yeah--I'm sorry. I didn't think it was that big of a--"

In one fluid motion, Ash's dad slapped him across the face. "I don't care what you thought," he snarled. "You are not eighteen, and you live under my roof. I decide what's a big deal and what's not."

Ash didn't respond, biting his lip. His face throbbed.

"Do you understand?"

Silently, Ash nodded.

"Good." Daniel grabbed his jaw and forced his son to look at him. He inspected the red hand print on Ash's face, then grunted. "It'll be fine in the morning. Go to school. Tell that friend of yours that you don't want to be around them anymore."

Ash's eyes widened. "Dad, I--"

"Shut up, you worthless little shit." His dad's grip tightened, and Ash winced. "You haven't told him anything, have you?"

"No, Dad," Ash breathed.

Daniel grunted and shoved his face away. "Good. Tell him you can't be friends anymore."

"Please, Dad..."

Daniel glanced over his shoulder. "Do it, or I'll lock you in your room for a week. No food."

Ash bit his trembling lip. "Okay. I--I'll tell him..."

"Good."

He disappeared into the kitchen, and Ash sagged against the wall, his breath hiccuping in his chest. He swallowed hard and pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes, trying hard not to cry.

He couldn't tell Will to go away. He couldn't. Not now, when he'd finally started to find his place with him. He swallowed again and pulled out his phone, typing a message to Will with shaking fingers.

I'n not goinh to be at school on Monday. Dob't worry abput me.

He knew he spelled the words wrong, but it took several tries to hit the send button, and then he dropped his phone and slid down the wall, burying his head in his arms and trying not to let his crying bother his dad.

~ ~ ~

Dob't worry abput me?

Ash never spelled anything wrong. Ever. In fact, he messed with Will about spelling things correctly, and sometimes Will did it just to annoy him.

Something was wrong.

It could be nothing, Will told himself. Ash could just be exhausted. I know I am.

He yawned, as if to punctuate his thoughts.

Okay, he texted. See you Tuesday?

There was no response. 

Maybe Ash had already fallen asleep. He did fall asleep quickly.

Will sighed and dropped his phone onto his bedside table, deciding to get in the shower.

- - - - - - - -  -

Sorry for the short chapter! Lot's of stuff going on.

Vote and comment!

Question for you: Favorite animal?

Answer from me: Cats. Cats and rabbits.