19. Tristan

Tristan Richardson wished he could go back to Dallas. River Heights was too small and too quiet, and it made him antsy.

He hated lying in bed at night, trying in vain to hear any honking horns or people shouting, wishing for the familiarity of their apartment in Dallas. 

It was good that both Mom and Dad had gotten good jobs here, but it was very clear that no one at school liked him.

Could he blame them?

He jumped when his phone rang, blinking. He recognized the number, but couldn't remember who it belonged to. Furrowing his brow, he pressed answer and held it up to his ear.

"Hello?"

There was a moment of shocked silence, and then Will's voice came through. "Tristan?"

Tristan swore and nearly dropped his phone, fumbling for a moment before holding it to his ear again. "Ah--Will. I--"

"How the actual hell did you get this number?"

Tristan puffed out a breath. "You gave it to me. My first day here. Before you broke my nose...remember?"

"Yeah," Will said grudgingly, "but why would you use it?"

"I--uh. I heard you and Ash. This morning."

I hear Will's hiss of a breath. ""Tristan--"

"Are you okay?" I interrupt, knowing that Will was about to hang up.

Will paused. "Why do you care?" he mumbled, but Tristan heard his voice crack.

"I...I'm not sure. But--I wanted to apologize for how shitty I've been acting. And...If there's anything I can do to make it up to you..."

Will paused again, then said "Meet me at the park in twenty minutes."

Tristan took a deep breath. "Oka--"

The line disconnected.

~ ~ ~

Will wasn't sure why he'd asked Tristan to meet him at the park.

He wasn't sure why he was going.

He wasn't sure why it mattered.

But Tristan had sounded sincere when he'd apologized, so Will was willing to give him a second chance,.

Probably.

Also because he wasn't thinking straight.

Will swallowed hard and drummed his fingers on his arms, looking around the park. Tristan still wasn't there.

Will sighed and looked down at his phone checking the time. He'd already called his mom and told her he was spending the night at Ash's, and he'd been shocked at how easily the lie slid out of his mouth, as if Ash hadn't just ripped out his heart and stomped on it. Jessica had said it was okay, and he'd been surprised by that too.

Tristan finally jogged into view, his dark hair ruffled and his face slightly flushed. Will crossed his arms and peered at him, lifting a single, calculating brow.

"What do you want, Tristan," he said tiredly.

"I--uh, you were the one who told me to come here."

Will waited.

Tristan blinked. "What?"

"I'm waiting for you to call me a fag."

Tristan flushed. "I...I really am sorry about that, Will. You're just--" He took a deep breath. "I'm jealous of you."

Will stared. "Of me? Why the hell are you jealous of me?"

Tristan swallowed. "Because you--you're always so confident and cold and intimidating and I wish I had your...I don't know. And--" He stopped short. "Lots of things," he finished.

"Mmm." Will crossed his arms. "Whatever. What's with the sudden change of heart?"

Tristan hugged himself. "I don't know. I did try to be your friend at the beginning, you know..."

"Yeah," Will agreed. "And then you insulted my best friend." He coughed. "Or...he was."

"I'm sorry," Tristan repeated, his voice cracking. "I--I hate it here, and I took it out on him. I'm so, so sorry, Will."

"Don't apologize to me," Will said quietly. "Apologize to Ash."

Tristan swallowed and nodded. "I will," he said. "I just...I don't have his number, and I don't know where he lives."

"Hmm." Will eyed him. "Right."

~ ~ ~

Tristan wasn't entirely sure that Will believed him when he said sorry. If he were Will, he wouldn't either. He'd been a major jerk.

Tristan took a deep breath. "I just--do you think--um."

Will sighed. "Words, Dickhead. You should use some."

Tristan flushed. "I was wondering if you think we could possibly be friends. Even after--how awful I've been."

Will seemed honestly surprised. He blinked a few times, his mouth dropping open. Tristan tensed, hunching his shoulders.

Will studied him, closing his mouth again and pressing his lips together. "I think," he said slowly, "that it's...possible."

Tristan's shoulders slumped. "Ah...thank you. For--for the chance."

Will huffed and started walking back to his truck. "Yeah, well. Don't waste it."

- - - - - -

Did ya like it?

Sorry it took so long to update. Got lots of stuff going on.

Q: Favorite hobby?

A: Writing. I'ma be an author.