Don't Dream It's Over

Chapter Thirty-Nine - Don't Dream It's Over

The Dressing Room was silent as we awaited the awards ceremony, we had gotten top three which was amazing in itself, though we couldn't even celebrate that until we knew whether we had won. It felt probable when I had snuck out to go to the toilet I had people saying how good our performance was and how they were rooting for us. Yet, Vocal Adrenaline had been on top form as well, it was just hoping our variety of performers could have given us the edge we needed to beat them.

I sat in Blaine's lap, resting my head on his shoulder as we waited to be called up, a lot of the other couples had been the same. I just needed the time to pass, I just needed to know and I felt like I would die before even finding out.

Then we had made it to the stage, I could barely breathe. At least with football, you always knew how the game was going, but with show choir, you could give your all and still lose because somebody gave a bit more. You couldn't challenge their moves on the spot, it wasn't a game.

I barely even noticed them award the MVP, which was Unique from Vocal Adrenaline. I was too busy squeezing so much of my energy into Blaine's hand that he actually had to whisper to me to loosen up, his hand looking incredibly pink.

"In third place," I took a deep breath in as they spoke, praying to hear anything but our names. When I heard Oregon I breathed in relief, this was it. We had come in second or first, second would have been good if a win hadn't been so close to touch.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen quiet, please. Congratulations to both teams standing with us onstage. But now, it's time to announce a winner. The 2012 National Show Choir Champions..." Thew few seconds of silence seemed to last forever, but as soon as we heard McKinley Blaine had grabbed my hands and started shaking them, myself still standing in utter shock as Blaine almost tackled me with a hug, which was soon joined by other members of the team. Confetti had fallen on us as Santana, Brittany and Quinn came into our hug, Blaine kissing me quickly on the lips after we all broke apart. I was filled with such pure ecstasy, I had never wanted the moment to end. I was in tears, jumping around with Kurt as the confetti continued to fall before Santana dragged me onto Artie's wheelchair with her that Finn pushed around.