[26] The Black Briefcase

Maya

My shift started about an hour ago, and I’m in my office, I’m should work, but I can’t stop thinking about the words of Carina, this morning, after we made love.

She is so sweet...she made me realize she trusts me now.
And I couldn’t be happier.

I’m lost in my thoughts and in the love I feel for that woman when I hear the alarm sound.

Engine 19, truck 19, ambulance 19.

Pregnant woman locked in an elevator on the sixteenth floor of a building, with her there is also the 10-year-old daughter.

When we’re inside the building, we realize it’s one of the oldest in Seattle.
So the elevator too.

And we find out that the woman is 38 weeks pregnant and for the stress she has broken her water, and she’s been in there for almost an hour.
Damn.

M-"Miller and Montgomery try to open that door, Huges and Gibson look for another way in.
We need to get them out, now!
Herrera, I want you to try to calm the mother and the daughter, they are already too agitated!
Come on, hurry up!"

Everybody does what I say.

I stay watching when Miller and Montgomery open the first door, but when they try to open the second door, the elevator moves.

G-"Captain, we managed to open the door upstairs, and the cables are totally worn out, they won’t hold!"

Says Gibson at the radio.

Holy shit....

Andy tells me the woman is having the baby, and I don’t really know what to do..

I remember the words that Carina said to me when little Pru was coming...

*If mama is relaxed and if you are relaxed there's really nothing to be done, nature do it. You're excellent at whatever you put your minds to.
You can do this!*

I’m gonna take a deep breath and try to reason.

M-"Hughes, Gibson, get down and try to open the ceiling of the elevator! Be gentle!
Miller and Montgomery, go help them! Warren, you get ready to take care of the mother."

"Copy that!"
They answer together.

We hear the woman scream. This must be a contraction.

Andy tries to talk to the child in the meantime.

A-"Hey, honey, do you want to help mommy?"

She answer yes.

A-"So I want you to describe to me everything that’s going on with her, what do you see?"

"Mommy is very sweaty and suffers so much...She is sitting on the ground..."

M-"Guys how's it going?"

H-"We opened it captain, now we take out the child and then the mother"

A-"Now my friends will help you, honey, you did good!"

They’re just in time to get them out that the elevator wires give out and fall down producing a very loud noise.

If we’d waited any longer, they’d be dead.

Andy hugs the little girl, who is worried about her mother and her little brother.

Warren’s about to take the woman to the PRT, but he realizes there’s no time, the baby’s coming, now.
And it will happen here.

I come up to the woman and taking her hand I tell her

M-"Come on, Brianne, breathe, just a little push, you’re almost there, you can do it!"

She takes a deep breath and starts to push with all the strength she has in her body. Shaking my hand with the same strength.

After that push there were a few seconds of silence and then we heard the baby crying.

W-"It's a boy!"

Warren says.

We made it through.

We saved them, all three of them!

I’m proud of my team, and proud of me...

I don’t know why I remembered Carina’s words, but they helped me find the conviction to keep on trying.

How is that possible? This woman can make me better even when she’s not here with me.

When the woman is stable Warren takes her to the hospital and we follow him to take her child too, until che father arrives.

I’ll text Carina on the way.

M-"Hey my beautiful italian woman,
we’re coming to the hospital with a patient, do you have 10 minutes for me? I miss you and I want to see you, even just for one hug and a kiss.

C-"Hi my love, I’m in my office reading some research, so come here. I'll wait for you."

I smile.

H-"Captain, our shift is almost over, can we stop at the hospital bar? It won’t take long, so we also take something for this little girl"

Huges asks me.

Even better, I’ll have more time to stay with Carina.

M-"Sure, go, I’ll join you later."

I say, and then I go to Carina’s office.

I knock on the door.

C-"It's open!"

I walk in, and she’s sitting at her desk in her pink scrubs, and she’s really hot.

When she sees me, she smiles and gets up to hug me.

Without saying anything, we hug, and we start kissing...one of those sweet kiss, only ours.

My hands end up on her hips, under her scrubs, in contact with her skin.

This causes her to moan a little.

C-"I have missed you..."

She says and then asks me

C-"Why are you here? What happened?"

A pregnant woman had been locked in an elevator that was about to break, with her ten-year-old daughter, and we delivered the baby there.

C-"Wow, busy day?"

M-"Yes, but it was nice, tonight I’ll tell you better..."

I say and I start walking around in her office looking around, when I notice a strange black briefcase.

M-"What is that?"

She gives me a malicious smile and tells me

C-"Open it if you want, but know that if you do that, then I’ll have to use what’s inside..."

Okay, now I really don’t know what to do...open or not?