Polite Leader: Let Me Purge (P1)

Minding my business, that's what I was doing. I was attempting to keep my head down and my figure hidden. I didn't want anyone to remember me come next weekend. The Purge was a night I hated, I'd only participated twice out of desperation. Once fresh out of high school, I needed money for college so I walked out of a bank with 1.5 million transfered to my account using their computer while others around me took physical cash. The second time, was to exact revenge. He couldn't be let go into the world, ruining the lives of more little girls. I did what I had to. I didn't like the feeling of killing but the relief of knowing I protected others the way I should've been protected was worth it. Now I was educated, owned a small cottage out on the edge of the wooded area, and a cute little cafe and snack shop in town.

I add things to my cart, carefully picking out things that people would over look. I didn't want to be a target again, it was terrifying how violent men could be when you deny them anything really. "Excuse me, Do you mind handing me that box of turtle chocolate?" A voice asked me, I didn't bother to look up. I passed him the box and continued to pick out a few chocolates. "Thank you. I'm Leader." I made a face of confusion before nodding and moving to the next aisle.

"Hey, I know like now probably is a sketchy time but I've seen you here before." I sighed hearing his voice behind me. "Your parents named you Leader?" I was highly annoyed but I pitched my voice a little higher and added nasal to it. " Yeah, natural born leader I guess." I pushed my sunglasses up my nose covering more of my face in combination with my face mask. I looked at him, he was tall and blond. Not my type but cute enough. "Do you participate?" I asked him softly, I saw his face shift as he thought of how he should answer. " Yes, I do. Regularly." I nodded grabbing my pasta and sauces. "Thanks for being honest. I don't and I don't know that I agree with it." I strolled away to produce thinking that would be the end of the encounter.

Oh boy, was I wrong! I heard the sound of shoes slapping to catch up. "That's okay, you still haven't told me your name." He gives a soft kind smile, " Don't make me have to work for it." I shook my head, " Luna." I wasn't giving this guy any real information.

"Got a last name, Luna?"
"Naturally."
"May I know it?"
"No."
" Is Luna your real name?"
" Is Leader yours?"
" I like a challenge."
" I don't like bugs."
"Ouch."

I made my way up to the register and made eye contact with the burly attendant, Jake. " At least tell me if Luna is a nickname?" Leader pleads following me carrying his small basket. "No, even Jake will tell you, everyone calls me Luna." I say loud enough for him to get the hint. "Hey! Luna, grocery shopping already? Those nephews of yours really eating you out of house and home." I thanked whatever is out there that Jake played along and created a fake life for me. " Yeah, they've seemed to bounce back since we moved across town." Leader perked up while listening to Jake make fake conversation. I count the beeps of the scanner , using it to calm down. "Why do you come all the way here?" Leader asked. "Simple, They're the only shop that supplies pink Himalayan salted caramel. It's my youngest nephew's favorite." I lied, it rolled off easier than it should have. I shake the small box of caramels.

"What's his name?"
"What's it matter?"
"I'm curious."
"Don't be."

Jake finished scanning and told me my total. "Make sure you tell the boys I'm coming over for dinner." I smiled and winked at Jake as I handed him cash. "Oh, are you two...?" Leader asked softly. "Not yet," Jake answered. I laughed and shook my head. Jake frequented my shop to discuss his newest boyfriend but Leader didn't need to know that. "I'd love to get your contact information?" I shook my head as I went out the door.

~~~~~~~~~Leader's POV~~~~~~~~
Y/N thinks I'm an idiot. Of course, my love is being cautiously safe as she should be around strangers. I've been following her for the last two and a half months. I knew everything there needed to be known. I pay for the random shit I picked up while pretending to shop. Turtle chocolates, really.

I catch her putting things in her f/c car. "Hey, Luna." I have to be careful not to reveal too much information. "Look, I know you're worried about Purge but I only steal a few things, I'm not...cruel." She nods understanding but clearly not sticking around for long. "One drink at a cafe. That's all I'm asking." She looks up and studies me for a bit, " What cafe? " I smile brightly at her, "The best one, it's got snacks. Melody Dreams. It's on the edge of town." I know I've said too much when her brows furrow.

" Get away from me. "

" Y/N... Look I've been building up the courage to talk to you. Just give me a chance. "
She sighs and holds out her hand. " Gimme your number. " I smile softly, hoping it doesn't look aggressive. I write down my number and hand it to her. It's something at least, but I need to meet with her before preparation for purge begins. I need her to love me after it.

~~~~~~~~~~~Y/N POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe this, He knew the whole time. But he was very cute about it, playing along in the store. I took his number and nodded my head at him. Just a drink, Purge was a week away, that's enough time to meet someone new, right? "So, drinks?" He asked confidently as he swayed on his feet.

"Tomorrow afternoon at 1? My cafe." He smiled brightly and nodded. I got in my car and held the paper up, "I'll text you when I'm at home." I drove off having to run some other errands but I thought about him the entire time. By time, I got home it was evening, around dinner time. I'd picked up some food from my favorite restaurant so I didn't have to cook. I put everything away and pulled out my phone. I texted Leader, unsure about his actual name.
Y: Hey. It's Y/N, just wanted to confirm the drinks.
L: Hello! Yeah, Tmw at one is perfect.
Y: Okay
L: I meant what I said btw about your cafe. Also helps the owner is gorgeous ❤️

This guy couldn't have been this cheesy. And yet, I giggled like an idiot as I played my dinner and poured a drink.

Y: Thank you. I'm about to eat dinner then settle in for the night.
L: Have a wonderful night, Beautiful.

I sighed setting my phone on the charger before going to eat. I thought about the pros and cons of doing this. He said he only steals but his calm demeanor and confidence made him a dangerous man in my eyes. He was almost arrogant, in a way that said he could talk shit and back it up. I climbed in bed after changing and stared into the darkness. This was gonna back fire on me.