"Early Morning Dew 早朝の露"

In the months ahead, Rengoku was taken from the Butterfly mansion in critical condition and then taken to the Mayoi estate for the rest of his recovery time. Yet, everyone still held an unsettling feeling regarding the flame Hashira. No one knew if this stranger would help or hurt his condition.

The group remained busy, running around slaying demons in different parts of the country. (y/n) headed north sent on an intelligence mission regarding Tamayo and the demon by the name of Muse.

Although former members of the Isumi clan, only a few remain today.

Tanjirou went west, dispatching any demons in nearby towns and villages. Zenitsu had gone south in search of a slippery demon who'd escaped the clutches of the Corps. Inosuke had been west and east mountains, slaying anything across his path.

And yet, it all seemed lonely—no screaming or threats of a fight. Just the blood of demons spilled on the ground was to accompany them.

(y/n) walked through a long-forgotten forest. Their feet crunched the dying colorful leaves, forgotten in the upcoming autumn. A breeze rustled through the branches, drawing their attention upward.

A stranger sat in the high branches of the trees. A pale gaze stuck on the fading moonlight. Long fluffy black hair pulled into a ponytail. A black haori blended into the background of the night, and their skin matched that of the moon. They seemingly stared at nothing in the distance.

It took a moment before they found the courage to speak up. "Excuse me? Are you alright up there?"

Only their head looked down. Then, a second later, the pale eyes latched into them. The stranger jumped gracefully to a lower branch, hanging upside-down by their legs.

They closed in on their face, eyes wide and unblinking. Silver scars lay delicately over their eyes, almost as if someone tried ripping them out.

"You were with that boy, and Lord Rengoku." (y/n) was caught off guard by how soft their voice was, almost as if not to scare an animal. 

Their words caught in the back of their throat for a minute before they could respond. Then, "Y-yes, I was. Where you there on the train?"

"Hm, no. Reporting to retrieve Lord Rengoku before the upper third moon fled."

They fiddled with their hands, unsure if they should ask. But might as well try. "I-is... Is Lord Rengoku alright?"

"He's recovering at the Mayoi estate." They said blankly. (y/n) drew back at the simple response. Wasn't it mainly Hashira who own estates?

"The Mayoi estate?"

They stared dead on, making their insides uncomfortable. "It's what I reported, was it not?"

"Y-yes... That your estate? Are you a Hashira?" They cursed for stuttering once again in front of them. They're a stranger, and yet, it felt like they were reading (y/n) like a open book.

"It was a gift. You ask a lot of questions child." They spotted a glimmer of a navy blue within the pale irises as they sat up on the branch. Now that their back was turned, they noticed the light scars tracing the back of their neck and the bottom of the haori looked worn.

"Nox Mayoi."

"It's nice to meet you, uhm-"

"Just call me Mayoi. Titles don't mean much, unless you want them too."

(y/n) fiddled with their hands, a feeling of guilt rushing through them. Tanjirou had spoken very little of the demon who lay behind the treeline. Yet, here they were, trailing the very same demon. It felt impossible.

"You're nervous."

They quickly dodged the question. "W-wait... Are you blind?"

"You didn't answer the question, child."

They jumped off, landing like a falling leaf.

Nox slowly walked ahead, turning as if to say to follow. (y/n) carefully followed, the brush of the hilt scratching their skin. Nox's footsteps faded into nothing as if they floated just above the ground. Their presence almost vanished into the forest even though they were standing right in front of them.

"I would suppose so." They muttered. Feeling their gut churning, it was normal. People gazed at them with fear or hatred. Their wasn't much they could do to change their mind. "Suppose so?"

Nox turned to stare.

"Alright, yes. I'm nervous." They admitted. They always were nervous, but at least they grew attuned to hiding it.

"Suppose I'm blind, then someone like me can tell your shaking. Might want to control your emotions."

"I don't...-"

Nox tapped their shoulder, almost knocking them over. It was harder than it looked.

"Don't think, do child. It's not hard as you're making it to be." Their fingers danced through the air, almost as if a blade cut through it. Just for a second, it reminded them of scattering clouds on a rainy day.

"Let it fester. Becoming the fuel that moves your blades. Duel wielders are rare among the corps."

Their mind wandered towards the small blade. More trust had been put into that blade than anything before hand. It saved lives and ended them.

"Y-yes..." They muttered, "Might I ask why you're helping me?"

Nox turned around and walked away into the night.

"Simple. I was given orders. Come Tsuguko."

For one second, Nox's eyes turned to cobalt moons, reflecting in the oceans water.

~

Tanjirou barely caught the little girl, only to faceplant into the concrete. "Are you alright?"

The Hashria jumped onto the butterfly gate, just where (y/n) was standing. Aoi glanced down at them, screaming for help in her eyes. They held a finger to their lips, signaling her not to mention their presence.

"You're a fool, I'm a Hashira and a former Shinobe. You really think I'd fall for one of your headbutts?"

They leaned against the wall, carefully listening to Tanjirou go face to face with the Sound Hashira himself with no bars held. He didn't have much common sense, but at least he knew what was right versus wrong.

"Let those girls go, lousy kidnapper!"

He jerked her around, only making the girl more scared. "Show some respect! You do you think you're talking to! I'm a Hashira. Damn it!"

"Well! I don't acknowledge you as a Hashira!"

Tanjirou's voice made their heart soar. His comforting scent was just enough to feel he was standing right in front of them. It had been months, but they could afford to wait.

"I'm taking them because I need female core members for a mission and I don't need permission! Then I'll take this one, although she doesn't look very strong."

"Everyone has their place, don't judge her!" He scolded. "What if we went in place of Miss Aoi!"

"What do you mean we?"

Zenitsu and Inosuke jumped into the argument. All they could do was stare when Zenitsu stood up for Aoi and Inosuke didn't just threaten him.

"Alright, I'll take the three of you with me. Only if you obey my every command."

The Hashira slapped her ass. They jumped up and snatched her from his grasp. "You're missing one, and don't go around slapping girl's asses, I highly doubt your wives would be happy with you." They jumped away, putting frightened Aoi down on the ground. 

"How did you?"

They ignored his constant prying into how they managed to get her back so quickly. Instead, they stood, shooting a death glare at the man. 

"If you're a Hashira, act like it. Be flashy as you want. But treat people with respect."

He slapped his cheek, grinning down at the lower Core members. This would be interesting with him being oh so... flashy.