"Cruelty 残酷"

(y/n) walked forwards into the blizzard, turning once in a while to check this path down the mountain. And feeling half-ice pellets bounce from the winter Kimono they wore. The song of old man winter, his calling for Earth to pause, to dream of warmth and feel the yearning for blossoms and new foliage. Behind them, footprints form as if they were going the other way.

"How?"

The crisp air pierced their lungs as they continued after his form through the white standing against the dark tree trunks. Their lungs squeezed under the pressure of the frigid cold. All that echoed in this forest of blood were the loud pants off (y/n) and Tanjirou and the crunching of the snow beneath their boots.

"How in the world could this have happened?" Tanjirou cried out in fear, and his voice laced with pain. Then, biting into their lower lip, they reached out for Tanjirou to run. But running so far ahead of them that they couldn't reach him.

"Come on, Nezuko! We've got you!" Their limbs froze in the snow, reddened with frostbite. Their fingers were numb, cheeks burning with an icy heart.

"Your siblings have you! It will be alright!"

This wind, full of blood and agony, shows the fruitless fight against fate they are destined to play. Was there any thought that all life was precious? Even though humans can't be at the top of the food chain forever, those who take a life.

One day, there will be something that will overtake us. Feed off our bodies and souls to stay alive. What will we do then? Fight back or roll over and give in?

"Someone help! Tanjirou! I've been accused of breaking this plate!" Someone shouted, almost as if a child got in trouble with their mom. The sounds of their voices rang out in the village, catching (y/n)'s attention. There was a boy with Rosewood-colored hair and eyes that matched- sniffing the broken plate. "I smell a cat."

They were pulling down the hood, protecting them from the bitter snow. The (h/c) locks were free to sway in the wind. Moving closer, they tapped the Rosewood-haired male on the shoulder. The male slowly turned around to look them in the eye.

His rosewood eyes widened for a minute before they fluttered with familiarity.

"Hey (y/n)! Are you back already?" A small smile pulled on their lips in response.

"I just got back." They left around eight months ago to find their mother. However, all their searching was fruitless, just giving in to the thought that she was dead.

"Oh, just in time then! I'm sure the younger ones would love to have you back." Tanjirou took note of their smile returning. Although the smile never wavered, the look in their eye softened. After all, they were his sibling by circumstance, not by blood. So naturally, he was worried about them.

"Yeah. I'm sure," (y/n) said while the grip on their side bag tightened. "Oh, come on (y/n), those kids love you. Even though you've been gone for a while." The soft look in their eye lightened just a bit.

"Alright, alright, little brother. Well. If that's the case, we should get back to them, shouldn't we?" They pat him on the back, wanting to change the subject from their travels. It was an off thing to leave them like that suddenly, but Tanjirou was there to keep an eye on them.

"Of course! But I've got a few things to do. Mind waiting?" Tanjirou asked while glancing over his shoulder at the pile of charcoal on his back.

"I mean, I've been waiting for eight months. A little more time won't hurt," They said, another pure smile on their lips. Tanjirou was the only one to notice that particular look in their eye. It had been there for years, a longing for something, but he never knew what.