Chapter 3 - The Return

ابدأ من البداية

            After Liam ran inside his flat I heard him run up the steps into his room. I looked to Niall, his face confused, shocked, and hurt all at once.

            “Niall,” I said softly, “Where were you?”

            He shifted uncomfortably and tugged on the bottom of his shirt in nervous habit. Harry and Louis were holding hands, staring at him as well.

            “Please, just tell us,” Harry said pleadingly.

            “I can’t,” Niall said uncomfortably. He then ran into Liam’s flat without another thing said.

            “Can you believe this?” Louis asked Harry and I.

            “I can’t,” Harry said.

            “Poor Liam,” Was all I could say.

Niall’s P.O.V.

            I couldn’t tell them where I was or why I was gone. I couldn’t. Trust me, I wanted to, but I honestly couldn’t tell them. I had to chase Liam inside. He seemed torn apart by my reappearance, and I wasn’t sure why. Making my way up to his room, I fixed my hair a bit, making sure I was presentable. My hand hovered over the door for a minute, until I finally forced myself to knock. Liam said nothing, yet I heard sobbing from the other side of the door. What had I missed this past month or two? What was wrong with Liam? Was this all my fault? My heart ached at the thought.

            “Liam!” I called, “Please open the door,”

            There was still not an answer.

            “Okay, then I’m coming in,” I warned.

            Still no answer. I reached forward and grabbed the doorknob, twisting it, only to find that it was locked.

            “Please Liam!” I called, pounding my fists against the door. There was a click from the other side of the door as it was unlocked and I smiled, knowing that he wanted to see me. I pushed inside slowly, only to find a crying Liam curled up on his bed. When Liam cried it tore my heart out. It was literally the saddest thing I have ever seen. I rushed to his side, kicking off my shoes, and jumping onto his mattress so I could be beside him. “Shh, shh, Liam,” I cooed, picking him up in my arms and holding him against my chest. “What’s wrong?”

            He sobbed a few more times, “I thought you were dead,”

            “What?” I asked softly, “Why?”

            “We had a funeral for you,” He sobbed even harder. What? They had a funeral for me? That made no sense. Why did they think I was dead? Liam must have seen my confusion because he said, “They found a body, but it was unidentifiable because I was badly burnt. All they knew is that it was a teen boy around your age. I guess they just assumed,” Liam was sobbing even harder now.

            I rubbed soothing circles on his back.

            “So, the world thinks I’m dead?” I asked, still confused. He nodded and tried to get himself under control.

            “Niall,” Liam sobbed.

            “Yeah?” I asked gently.

            “Don’t ever leave again, ever,” he said softly. My heart broke just seeing him like this. Why did my disappearance affect him so much? All I knew is that every time I looked at him my heart started beating a little faster. Sure, I knew had feelings for Liam, but since I was gone, they seem to have amplified…a lot.

Liam’s P.O.V.

            Everything just hurt. My head, my body, everything. I was practically shaking in Niall’s arms. For some reason I couldn’t get myself under control. But why? He was back; I should be happy, ecstatic even. But I wasn’t. I just hurt, and it was that simple.

            “I can’t believe that the world thinks I’m dead.” Niall said, staring off into space as he rubbed circles on my back, shooting sparks through my body.

            “I wonder how management is going to deal with this,” I said, my sobbing finally coming to a stop.  Niall grunted in agreement.

            “They are probably loving all this publicity though,” Niall said.

            “I dunno,” I said, “The fans still think you’re dead,”

            “I can’t believe it,” Niall shook his head.

            “Where were you?” I asked. Niall’s body froze, his hand stopping rubbing my back. He took a deep breath and finally shrugged. “You can’t tell me?” I started to cry again. Niall panicked and began to hush me again, running his hands through my hair.

            “I’m sorry, Li,” He said, “I would tell you if I could.”

            “Are you at least staying?” I asked.

            “Of course, why would you think I would leave you again?” He replied. I must admit, hearing that from his mouth made me feel a lot better.

            “Just stay,” I said.

            “Of course Liam,”