Food Coma: Chapter Ten

Start from the beginning

The sensible thing to do would be to call the hospital and see if she was alright. Then he could go to bed in peace. Instead, here he was, nearly falling asleep at the wheel one moment, and shivering uncontrollably the next, yet somehow he felt compelled to check up on her, as if she were his own mother. It was wrong, and he knew it by moments, but then he would forget again. His brain was a muddled mess of sleepiness and urgency that made him feel like two people trapped in one overfed body.

At one point, he opened his eyes and realized he had started napping behind the wheel. This was insane. He was going to get himself killed. The only logical thing to do was to pull over and take a quick nap, before he closed his eyes again and crashed into a tree.

It was the sane thing to do and yet Roberto couldn't stop driving. He was too worried, his head looping and looping with questions. Was she alright? Her quick pulse and funny breathing were worrisome. Was it a heart attack? And why had she been eating a jar of pickled things, like newborn mice? It was repulsive and unnatural. She needed help and Roberto was letting her down.

The thought filled him with a deep sadness that served to keep him awake, and on the verge of tears, until he turned into the hospital parking lot. What was happening to him? Roberto never cried, and yet, as he got out of the car, the cold wind on his cheek iced a rolling tear.

At hospital reception, a back-combed brunette with scarlet nails sat behind a Plexiglas box. Roberto had to stoop to talk to her through the wicket because she had lifted it only halfway open. Her cell phone was on the desk beside her, and she kept glancing at it, reading messages and chuckling.

"Hi Hon," she said. "What can I do for you?" She gave him a big friendly smile that belied the Plexiglas barricade between them.

"I'm looking for a lady named Helene. She came in by ambulance around noon."

"Helene, eh? Is she a relative of yours?"

"No. She's a thin, grey-haired, older lady. I was there when she took ill. I called the ambulance for her and now I just want to make sure she's okay."

"How sweet. You're a real life Good Samaritan, am I right? Well, I'd love to help you out Hon, but we get lots of old ladies. Loon Lake attracts a lot of retirees."

"I'm afraid she was having a heart attack. Maybe you could just check with the emergency department..."

"No need. Just give me her last name and I'll look her up." She tapped a computer monitor with her pen.

"She's the owner of Helene's Herbal Healing Shop. Maybe you know her?"

"Maybe, but don't you know her last name?"

"She's a thin, old lady with grey hair."

"How do I know you're not some kind of journalist, bothering the patients?" She stood up, hands on hips, the teased top of her hairdo just visible above the Plexiglas barrier.

"Why would I do that?"

"It's a big story, and not just for Loon Lake." She put a hand up to cover her mouth, but not before he caught her smirk. "I'm sorry, but if you're not family, and you don't even know her name, you're obviously not a friend. I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"Can't you just tell me if she's okay?"

"Who?"

"Helene."

"I don't know who you're talking about." This time she didn't even try to hide her smile. "Is there something else I can do for you?" she said. "Maybe have somebody take a look at your back to check for burns?"

Roberto didn't smell of smoke. He had showered and changed his clothes.

"How do you know?"

"...News travels fast in a little town. So, I think you'd better be on your way now, Roberto."

"I never told you my name."

"Which was very rude of you. I thought Peruvians were famous for friendliness." She shook her head and sat back down.

"What?" How did she know where he was from? "Why won't you let me talk to Helene?" He moved closer to the desk, fingertips on the glass.

Were the Canadians were spying on him, and maybe planning to pin something on him too? First the three-hour grilling in the police station, with the young policewoman who pretended to be friendly, and now this? The brunette was ignoring him, giggling and texting as if he weren't standing right in front of her.

Behind him, Roberto felt the line of people building. Didn't she care? Shouldn't she be doing her job? When she started playing a game on her phone he almost banged on the glass, but what good would that do?

He should go out the front door and come back in another way. The hospital was pretty big. He just needed to find a sympathetic receptionist on another floor. Normally women liked Roberto and he liked them. He would give the new receptionist a big smile and ask politely for the room number. Problem solved.

With new optimism, he tried to leave but the man behind him was standing too close, hemming him against the Plexiglas. Roberto craned his neck back and saw the two attendants from Helene's ambulance. The man shot him a nasty grin, just as Roberto felt a needle stab into his shoulder.

Before he could get away, Roberto's knees went weak and he sank into nothingness.

****************************************************************

If you liked this chapter, please give it a vote. :-)

Update: 

Feeding Frenzy is now on Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and international stores. Click on the link in the comment to see it.