And Then I Raged

Denki's POV

I was desperate, trying to contain all the stray electricity. Desperate. This whole mission was desperate. And now here I was. I watched through hazy eyes as Aizawa and some other person pulled Shinso out from under the metal. They untied him and he tried to get to me. I could have stopped this torture. Stopped drawing everything to me, but they were still in the ever growing body of water.

Then the hairs on my arms raised. And instead of Shinso calling my name I heard clicks and buzzing. The air hissing around me.

Lightning struck me.

It was too much. If I thought what I was going through before was bad, having a billion more volts hit me all at once was worse. Instead of the steady pulsing before, this new feeling killed me.

No it actually killed me. I can see my body right now. I let go of the cables as Eraser-Head scrambled to get him and Shinso out of the water. I was laying there, my dead body, electrocuted still in death. But I no longer felt anything. I was floating above it all.

I looked at my hands, snaking vines of burst blood vessels crawled towards my heart. My eyes were bloody, blood dripped from my mouth and nose. Death was not a good look on me.

Shinso's screamed as he thrashed to get to me. Clawed at his own father to get out of his grip. Kicking at nothing. Wailing through the rain to whatever god there was, to help me. To make sure I wasn't dead. But, I was dead. I was dead and Shinso couldn't change that.

Aizawa was screaming too. Screaming for someone to override the system and cut the power so they could get to me. He was screaming at me to get up. To wake up. I know Aizawa loved his students but seeing him like this, it hurt. He was like my second dad. Especially since my real one was never around.

But my mom. How would he tell her? I'm never going to see her again. My wonderful mom who made me mac and cheese and helped me study and train to get into UA. She'd hold me when I cried because I didn't understand how I felt towards guys. She kissed all my injuries growing up. I was all she had.

Someone cut the power after calling the government. Two hours later, they were able to turn off the cities power. Thanks to my quirk the electricity frying me didn't turn me into a piece of bacon.

As soon as the power got cut, my body stopped getting jerked around from the electrical current, Shinso ran to me. Dropped to his knees and cradled me. Sobbing into my hair. I was gone. Not in this world anyways. Somewhere between. I didn't want to be here. I wanted to go home to Shinso. I wanted to live my life and become a hero beside him. I wanted a family and to see my friends again. I wanted to go home. I wanted my mom. That was enough for me to fight.

I raged against whatever force was keeping me here. Whatever force was trying to pull me into the afterlife. I thrashed and pulled and struggled against it. Trying to get to Shinso, to my mom. To grab his hand and tell him that I'm still here. That I wasn't as gone as he thought I was. Then the pulling stopped when Shinso and I turned towards a voice.

"Shinso...?" They said.