A Moment of Weakness.

Shinso's POV

If Bakugou and Kirishima didn't show up, I would have said yes. I would have had a moment of weakness and made a choice I could never take back. Then everything those kids back in the orphanage said would come true. I'd be a villain, with the most well known villain league in all Japan.

The league would use me to talk their way into anywhere they wanted to go. No one would even remember it happening. No witnesses. They'd praise me for my quirk. They would never mock me for having something so powerful.

Selfish as I was, I gave into that little fantasy for a while. The night before getting found by my classmates, I mulled over saying yes. I had even talked myself into doing it. Getting free of this room and quirk inhibitor. Being treated as a king.

Then I saw Eri standing in my room. Almost like she was there, a few feet away from me in this room. Not in my imagination. Crying, crying that I broke our promise. Crying because I'm as bad as Overhaul in her eyes. Crying because I broke her heart. One already broken from her life of horrors.

And then Dad and Papa, they appeared next to her. Crying along with her because their only son. The child they saved and raised as their own turned into their enemy. I could see no hint of hatred or even disappointment in their eyes. Only sadness. Fear for my safety. Knowing what my life was going to be like now. Never having a home to stay in. Never having a life outside of crime.

Then they vanished. I know they weren't actually there. That it was a hallucination from lack of sleep and water. I fell asleep with a new resolve in my heart. Knowing no matter what happened, I wouldn't break my family's heart. Even if they killed me and threw me in the ocean. Even if all that's left for them to find of me is dust.

When Shigaraki walked in the next morning, I didn't say a word. No quick remark. No comebacks ending with a boot between my ribs. I didn't so much as blink at anything he said. No matter how hard he tried. I didn't give him a reaction. He stormed out, almost disintegrating the door in the rush. He sent Twice to try and convince me.

Twice flipped between being apologetic and wanting to slap me the whole time, but I learned that's who he is. Toga came in and sat with me. Watching me for a while before speaking up.

"So, what's it like in UA?" She sat on a stool they tossed in here on the first day. She seemed genuine in her curiousness.

"It's a lot of hard work. A few days before you took me I finally got into class 1-A. The class everyone made a big deal about in the Sports Festival. I was so excited. Everyone in that class is so nice and accepting. If you get into class 1-A you definitely have a shot at becoming a pro hero." I said, I couldn't keep the smile on my face. I missed it. Even if I was only there for a day or two before the weekend I had gotten kidnapped.

"I wanted to go there. Growing up I wanted to be a hero too. I lived in a bad neighborhood where the kids weren't raised right, I mean look at me. But, I wanted to grow up to help the little guys. Make everyone's lives easier. But, I was a strange child. My normal behavior wasn't 'normal' per society's standards. You know what it's like growing up and having your quirk deemed evil by people who don't know you." She sighed. Her usual smile was gone. She seemed to be in another world. Even twice was quiet.

"Yeah I know what it's like. The day my dads saved me from the orphanage I was being beaten up by a group of kids. They were older than me, I had gotten my quirk and was figuring it out. They hated me because of it. Because of what it was. What I had the ability to do. After my dads took me home, it took me over a year to use my quirk. I was so terrified they would get rid of me because of it.

"Toga, I understand what you're saying. But, that doesn't mean I have to agree with your methods. We can go down different roads to get to where we want to be. We see each other there, in a better world. Where people don't bully children with quirks that are different." I smiled at her. She smiled back and left. Off to think or take a nap. I have no idea.

"That was very nice of you..." Twice whispered. I looked at him forgetting he was here. I waited for his more negative side to say something mean or contradictory to what he said but none came. It seems both parts of him believed what he said wholeheartedly. I nodded at him.

"I told her the truth, Twice. We'll make it to a better world." I huffed and tried to get comfortable with him staring at me through that mask. He got up to leave. Before slipping out the door he said something I didn't expect.

"Shinso, you're too good to be a villain. Whatever you do. Don't join us. Don't let us corrupt you."

And then I was alone again.