~~~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~~~

The Grand Hall was spectacular in every way imaginable; it took multiple turns to take it all in. And just like almost everything L experienced, seeing it in person was even better than the records she held. The walls were a mixture of blue and silver swirls; they glittered and gleamed, and L knew the paint itself was infused with magic.

The ceiling was made up of the most intricately painted geometric patterns, looming high above their heads. Three chandeliers of magical lights dangled down, draped in exquisite crystals that reflected the lights and helped to illuminate the vast room.

The floor was polished marble, inlaid with gold and silver veins. It reflected the ceiling and walls in a way that made the hall look like it was dancing out of an enchanted painting. The floor to ceiling windows were made of the same diamond-like material as the doors, and they reflected the scene inside of the Grand Hall perfectly.

Latia led them through the hall, her head held high and her face displayed no emotion; despite what Bryce had said she had a duty to perform in front of the king and queen. They were sitting at the other end of the Grand Hall, on thrones made of the strange stone used on the palace itself. The thrones were stately, tall backed with red velvet cushions lining the seat and back.

The image of a coronet was carved above each of their heads, as if anyone needed to be told who these regal seats belonged to. There was also a smaller, but no less regal, seat on either side of the king and queen. L knew who they were for.

Emilia and Bryce would have had to sit there for special occasions, staying by their parents sides to show a united royal family.  They would have done so now, had things been different. Emilia and Bryce would be staring down at L just like their parents, sitting in royal robes, waiting to address the Keeper and find out why she was visiting.  

Looking at the seats now, empty, and knowing what she knew, L felt a chill pass through her. To be part of the Elf world was to take up the act, to be part of the charade. L understood more and more why Bryce rejected this life, Emilia's reasons were much more forceful, and yet he still came back here regularly. L sighed internally and followed Latia, family loyalties werent exactly her expertise anyway. She ignored her inner turmoil, trying not to take any notice of the other Elves in attendance- all of whom were watching their arrival.

She'd assumed this would be a private audience with the king and queen, and one look at Bryce's barely hidden look of outrage told her he'd thought the same. A moment later and they were standing in front of the royals, Latia excused herself and they were left to the scrutiny of the Elves in court.

"It is nice to see you all refreshed, I trust we attended to your needs exceptionally, Keeper?"

L inclined her head as was expected, "You did, Your Majesty, and we are extremely grateful for your hospitality thus far."

L almost choked on her own words, she hated speaking in a tone that wasn't her own. Mrs Worcester used to call it a telephone voice, and L came to the conclusion it was why most people didn't like talking on the phone.

The king and queen seemed pleased with her attitude and behaviour however, staring between her and Bryce with the widest of smiles.

"And Brycathlen has been a well behaved companion in his aid of you?" The queen asked, it was a thinly veiled snoop into their relationship.

Bryce caught it immediately and swooped in to divert the conversation. "That's actually why we were heading here, though it's probably not the type of conversation for the whole court to hear. We should discuss it at dinner, alone."

He purposely eyed the surrounding Elves. Each one gave him a look of disapproval that he ignored, staring pointedly back at his parents.

"Any business the Keeper holds here, Brycathlen, can be shared with the court. We do not hide secrets from our own kind."