~ Epilogue ~

The view out of the window seat in L's room was beautiful, with the patchwork of fields and towns below and the dark, grey clouds passing above the floating house. L was enjoying the moment of peace before she returned to her training.

It had been a few months since they'd liberated Lymasia, which had been totally destroyed. They were now in the midst of building somewhere new to base themselves, a Lymasia upgrade. The house wasn't sustainable as a permanent base since it required too many abilities to stay up. Their new place would be somewhere remote, with rolling security that changed often- L had made sure of that.

She wanted to be involved in the development as much as possible. She needed their home to be secure this time. There wouldn't be any instances for someone to be used to gain access.

In between that business and receiving training from every entity she could call upon, she was also consulting with the Council and helping whoever came to call. She'd made herself very busy, and in general, it had been helping her to cope with her grief. She didn't have time to dwell since she was either busy or sleeping, and it was working for her. But, after a heavy hearted request from Mrs Worcester that she look after herself, she took a rare moment to sit and do nothing. 

She retrieved the letter and photo from her bag and sat back by the window. She stared down at her parent's faces and Bryce's handwriting with a mixture of feelings. Thanks to Mr and Mrs Worcester, who had been able to save hers and Robbies' belongings before the attack, she still had everything that held sentimental value to her.

She smiled sadly to herself when she thought of them talking to each other if they were there. How her dad would be lecturing Bryce, while her mum would be asking questions and teasing L about him. She thought back to that time in the cavern, when they were all last together, and her sadness deepened.

She began to pull out of the memory when something suddenly reached out to her. It was a file she hadn't seen before, and without warning, it jumped to the forefront of her mind. She blinked away the overload of information to find a shimmering image of her parents standing before her eyes. She almost fell to the floor in astonishment and confusion.

"Hello, L. You seeing us now means you escaped Paguea, thank goodness." Her mum smiled softly.

"But it also means that you must be feeling all kinds of things. Which led you to search your mind for us, and you've stumbled upon our little gift."

L shook her head and tried to comprehend what was going on. She knew they weren't real. It was an image almost like a hologram, but she could sense magic rather than technology.

She waved a hand at the image and it passed straight through.

"What is this?"

"We knew you'd be wary. Let me explain." Her dad began, pushing his glasses up his nose. "We had a lot of time to think while in Paguea. We knew we wouldn't be able to come back with you."

He stopped, and it seemed hard for him to keep going. L's mum hugged his arm and continued.

"We tried to think of some way we could help and be with you, even when it wasn't physically possible. So we made you this. An interactive parent file. We used every ounce of magic and creativity we could spare. We envisioned any scenario you might need our advice or support, or even a scolding, and programmed it in."

Her mum grinned and winked at her. L laughed despite the tears that were rolling down her cheeks.

"It means we'll always be with you, no matter where you are or what happens. Even if we're not physically there, our thoughts, feelings, and reactions will be."