~ Hoodwinked ~

L stared up at the creature that nearly stomped on her. It was similar to the dog-like beings by the fire, from the black fur to the pointed face and onyx eyes. Unlike them, this one was huge, standing at least six feet tall and half as broad, with two arms and four legs that kept it upright. And it could obviously talk, whereas its smaller counterparts could only yelp. Which they'd started doing the minute the roar had woken them.

"We weren't going to hurt them. They came for the fire, and we were just leaving." L explained.

She gestured to the little creatures, who were in no way hurt, though their little noises didn't help her case.

"Lies! You came for their throats!"

L almost choked and began shaking her hands, diving aside when the creature lunged.

"No, we didn't. We don't want anything from them."

"L?" Bryce called, staring at her in confusion.

"You can understand what it's saying?" Robbie followed up, looking just as confused.

L blinked slowly, "Of course I can, can't you?"

They both shook their heads, and L quickly looked back at the large dog thing.

"I can understand you, but they can't?"

"Because you're a Special One, and you've come for my babies, haven't you?" The creatures' nostrils flared.

L sighed, "No, I haven't. I'm here for something else. Please, take your babies and go, we won't follow."

L stepped back to where Robbie and Bryce were and lowered her hands.

The creature eyed her nervously; it seemed to have run out of steam.

"You don't want their throats?"

L shook her head, "I really don't. I don't know why anyone would want them."

The creature stared at her, completely dumbfounded for a moment.

"Because of their singing? The babies' beautiful voices?"

L glanced to the creatures and crinkled her nose at the sound of their yelping.

"Erm, no thanks."

The creature let out a bark of a laugh, and L stared in surprise.

"Not that sound, obviously. Their singing, it takes the pains away."

L recalled the low humming she'd heard before that sent her into a trance.

"Oh, I see." She frowned, "I still don't see why I would want to take that."

The creature looked confused again and shook its large head.

"I don't know either, but others have taken them before, so we won't let it happen again."

L smiled reassuringly and held her arms out to the side.

"Well, I promise you I don't want that."

"L, what's going on?"

"Just a misunderstanding, we're good."

The creature seemed oddly satisfied and turned to the little ones. It growled three times in rapid succession, and they each scarpered in different directions.

The larger creature turned back to L and shrugged.

"Just in case."

L waved it aside, knowing she'd probably do the same in that position.